Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miaou
    replied
    I've just ordered a copy from the library - no need to pay out for it that way!

Leave a comment:

• Hannah
    replied
    Thanks for the comments about the book - saw it the other day when I was out shopping and had a flick through but was still undecided whether to get it or not....hmmm am useless at making my mind up!

xHannah

Leave a comment:

• Moley
    replied
    Ah - that's the downside of working fulltime.

Leave a comment:

• swirlyarts
    replied
    Originally posted by Moley View Post
    My only other question is, how does everyone manage to find these good books in second-hand or charity shops? I have a friend who has stocked almost all her sewing shelves from charity shops or boot sales. I'm never that lucky to find them!
    You've got to go on a regular basis!!

Leave a comment:

• Moley
    replied
    I have virtually all the Singer books, although I think they're now published by Apple or Creative Publishing. In fact, at the last stitching fair at Aintree racecourse, one of the bookstalls had what appears to be a compendium of their most popular books, all in one and it was only about £15. Well worth every penny even just for the photographs.
    If anyone is interested in solving fitting problems or challenges then consider the Palmer Pletsch books, - Fit for Real People, Pants for Real People or Jackets ...etc.
    My only other question is, how does everyone manage to find these good books in second-hand or charity shops? I have a friend who has stocked almost all her sewing shelves from charity shops or boot sales. I'm never that lucky to find them!

Leave a comment:

• creativeclare
    replied
    Originally posted by Moley View Post
    I'd go along with Claire. I bought it so that I could keep up to date with what my students mike be looking at. If you want good skills and techniques then look at the Reader's Digest books, Dorling Kindersley (great photos) or the revised Vogue Sewing book.
    However, this does give some quirky modern ideas as a jumping off point.

Oooo, I love the Vogue book. Singer do a very nice library series too. Different techniques such as tailoring,lingerie etc

Leave a comment:

• swirlyarts
    replied
    I've got it too and it's great as a starting point for making your own basic clothes (I made the very simple skirt for Anya out of it) but there's not much technical language in it. I'd try your local charity shops - I've seen a few copies in several ones!

Leave a comment:

• Moley
    replied
    I'd go along with Claire. I bought it so that I could keep up to date with what my students mike be looking at. If you want good skills and techniques then look at the Reader's Digest books, Dorling Kindersley (great photos) or the revised Vogue Sewing book.
    However, this does give some quirky modern ideas as a jumping off point.

Leave a comment:

• creativeclare
    replied
    Hi

I have a copy of the book and I really like it! It does depend on what you`re looking for. I bought it as I am in the process of teaching my friends daughter to sew ( she is 17) and needed some inspiration for projects that might "push her buttons" rather than peg bags and such uninspiring things

Em loves the projects we`ve done so far and enjoys Ethne Farry`s chatty and humourous style of writing.

I`ve been sewing for as long as I can remember and I woudn`t make anything out of the book as it`s way too basic for me but it`s a great book if you are young and trendy (or mature and trendy!) and you are just getting to grips with dressmaking and want quick results from your sewing.

Obviously a different point of view from HopeJ (soz matey!!) but maybe I`m seeing it from a different angle??

Does you library have a copy before you buy?

Clare

Leave a comment:

• Hopej
    replied
    Hi ya Hannah,

Yes I recently bought this book, and have to say was a little bit disappointed by it. There are a couple of good tips in there, however I wouldnt recommend it if you are new to dress making and want some serious advice. There is not a great deal of useful pictures or diagrams, and is mainly about how she started adapting clothes, and ways to do it yourself.

I was going to post a link of a couple of reviews, but unfortunately they have been accidently deleted, by one of the moderators.

To summarise, if I had seen this book in a shop rather than online, it would not of been the one I would of picked. There are other books such as Readers Digest that are far more useful (from other reviews i have read), and have more relevant information. It depends really on what you are looking for.

hth

x

Leave a comment:

• Hannah
    started a topic Has anyone read a book called...

Has anyone read a book called...

HI!

Just wondering if anyone has got or read the book 'Yeah I made it myself' ? If so, what kind of things does it have in it? Cant seem to find out online so hoping someone here can help before I buy it!

xHannah
Working...
X