Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peg Looms

Hellooo everybody,

Does anyone use a peg loom out there? Any hints and tips for someone using one for the first time?

What's the easiest thing to start out making?

I have some really thick wool and lots of gorgeous knitting wool I want to use, was thinking about making a scarf or something like that.

hen
    x
    'is it kind, is it necessary'

bee-leaf - my blog!

The Straw House - beautiful jewellery

I know that there's a crafter who sells peg looms and instructions (if I've understood the term correctly!) as well as making stuff herself. She exhibited at Tissington Craft Fairs, last year, on loads of occasions. The organiser of the craft fair is Denise Broadhurst and she can be contacted on [email protected]and she'll probably be able to tell you how to get in touch.
    Good luck
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

thanks for that poppy, I'll check it out!!

bee-leaf - my blog!

Comment

Hi

Not sure about hints or tips, just experiment and have fun.

Peg loom weaving comes out quite thick normally so may be a bit stiff for a scarf.

You could try a rug, wall hanging, a bag or maybe even cushion covers.

If you move on to a big project make sure that your warp threads ( the ones going through the pegs) are pretty tough as it's a real pain if they snap half way up your weaving.

Enjoy yourself

Comment

great tips - thank yooo!!

bee-leaf - my blog!

Comment

Glad I could help

I'm just having a nosey at your blog now, very interesting.

Comment

new here, about peg looms

Hi, my name is catssmudge and I was being a bit nosey reading through different messages. I make and sell peg looms and really the only thing i would say is try anything. The other lady said about the warp threads and that is important and scarves are possible if you have a fine gauge on your loom. You will just end up with a loose weave. I tend to crochet two/three strands of wool together for a chunkier yarn and then use it to weave with. I make rugs, hangings, seat pads, virtually anything you want. Hope i haven't stepped on anyones toes.
              catssmudge

Comment

Originally posted by catssmudge View Post
                Hi, my name is catssmudge and I was being a bit nosey reading through different messages. I make and sell peg looms and really the only thing i would say is try anything. The other lady said about the warp threads and that is important and scarves are possible if you have a fine gauge on your loom. You will just end up with a loose weave. I tend to crochet two/three strands of wool together for a chunkier yarn and then use it to weave with. I make rugs, hangings, seat pads, virtually anything you want. Hope i haven't stepped on anyones toes.
                catssmudge
                Hi Catssmudge - & . I'd love to see some of your work - I do love woven pieces. I did woven textiles at Uni and have a table loom upstairs, but never seem to have the time to do anything on it!

Sorry badgerhill - can't help with the peg loom as I've never tried one? But look forward to seeing some pics of your work.
                incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
                ___

Comment

my pieces of weaving

Hi, I've just started supplying a local shop with my work this week and you can see a couple of pics on my blog - catssmudge.blogspot.com/. My dh has taken more pics but cannot get to them as I put the camera out of my grandsons way and I can't remeber where, lol. I've challenged him to make another loom to my spec., he's not too impressed at the moment. I sell my looms on ebay and also to locals and everyone seems to enjoy using them.

Comment

I've checked out your blog Catsmudge, those look lovely!!

bee-leaf - my blog!

Comment

How to Use a Peg Loom

The peg loom came and now I've done a pictorial thing on my blog on how I used it!

Ok, back to moving house...

bee-leaf - my blog!

Comment

your weaving

Hi Hen, just had a quick look at you blog, love the weaving, what fleece ar you using? I'm feeling very deprived at the moment, we are having so many orders / requests for looms and for help in using them that I don't get chance to do any of my own weaving or knitting. Have had a moan to hubby and he says that as eldest daughter is home - college has finished- she can help a bit more and then I shoul get some time.
                        I'll believe it when I see it, there is a rug cryiing out to be finished and lots of ideas in my head bt it is just a case of when. I am taking a day off next week to go on a wet felting course, I am really looking forward to it.
                        Enjoy your weaving.
                        hugs catssmudge

Comment

Beautiful Weaving!

Hello!

I liked your weaving on your blog - great article. I must admit that I would have found it very useful when I bought my peg loom off Ebay. The instructions that came with it showed the pegs the other way up, which made weaving extremely difficult. In the end I found out how to do it from Sandra Hardy's 'Handcrafted Rugs' book.

Best Wishes

Julia x
                          Fire xxx
                          Fire Horse Textiles
                          Love Buttons On Etsy
                          Love Buttons On MISI
                          Love Buttons On Folksy
                          Flickr
                          Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X