Hi, I have just started upcycling furniture, going for the shabby chic look. I really need a tool that will sand off a couple of mm from the edges of my items, without taking off too wide an area and without scratching the area around it (when I use normal sandpaper or a hand sander it tends to leave scratches outside of the area I want to sand).

I need it be a small, manual tool I think.

Does such a tool exist? If so what it is called, and where can I get one? If not, would a standard rasp do the job, or even a nail file?!

Thank you in advance for your help!