Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help turn tat to treasure!

Hey!

Thought a nice recycle/reuse/upcyle thread would be to post about something you have kicking around waiting for you to do something with and by something I mean ANYTHING. Fabrics to plastics, an old object to some broken glass and people could give ideas on how to turn your tat to treasure . I think it makes it more definitive to the thread here that people come to share creative ideas here rather than people spending a while searching for the right threads.

I have experience of this already and this thread may work better as a category with subs but I think its a nice idea to start here and see home much interest is generated. I know its all sorted into categories to begin with with the recycled crafts but its nice to get other peoples opinions on your somewhat random tat and how to make it useful and beautiful again

For example: I had a load of toilet rolls stashed (as I am a hoarder) and I cut them into thin strips keeping the circle shape (but half squashed) and made flowers by attaching four sections at the squashed corners.

Now I am looking for something to do with empty plastic conditioner bottles (I have a long thick hair so go through quite a lot of it) and would welcome ideas.

Who else has something laying around they want ideas to recycle with?

KayleighAnn
    My Homemade Life

Or at least the early beginnings

Plastic bottles. Mmm. I collect empty cola and pop bottles, the big ones and cut the bottoms off with scissors. They make wonderful slug deterents in the garden when placed over strawberry plants and others of that ilk.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

My Nan used to recycle her old plastic bottles (the smaller types like washing up or shampoo bottles) by filling them up with pebbles and then 'dressing' them to create doll ornaments. It sounds naff but they were stunning (I suppose the bottle acted as a frame) and she'd use fabric scraps to create long dresses and then some old stockings were fashioned into a head and hands. The bottles with shape worked best - some actually go in at the 'waist' and have an almost womanly shape.

Me and my cousin were fascinated with them when we were little and I can still remember her Queen Elizabeth she made complete with beads and gems sewn onto the bodice and hat.
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I used toilet rolls in the way you discribed to make an advent calender by forming a christmas tree using 24 sections. I then painted them green and stuck them to a backing. I stuck little christmas drawings in each section stuck to the back and then wrapped up sweets in green tissue and stuck one in each hole with a number sticker on them.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

The dolls sounds absolutely brilliant! Going to get my research hat on and look into this

I have found jewelry made out of recycled plastic bottles but Im still decided whether I like it, I also dont think necklaces suit me so think its a waste making something like that.

An advent calender sounds lovely to, a little complicated for my skill by the sounds of it do you have any pictures?

KayleighAnn
          My Homemade Life

Comment

Originally posted by KayleighAnn View Post
            An advent calender sounds lovely to, a little complicated for my skill by the sounds of it do you have any pictures?
            I'd like to see a picture of that too.
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I really like a site called Trash to Treasure ... they are on Facebook too. Check out their bags made from finished pet food pouches.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...type=1&theater
              COUNTRY LOVE CRAFTS - 01235 861700
              Ceramic Supplies, Craft Blanks, Acrylic Paints, Decopatch and Much More! Global shipping. Speedy Deliveries.
              Facebook * Twitter * Website * E-mail *

Comment

Some of the stuff on their page is so cute, using napkins for decoupage wow! thanks Had to like it on fb haha now Im going to start searching there for more inspiration!!

KayleighAnn
                My Homemade Life

Comment

I used to make terrariums with my kindergarteners many years ago...out of 3 liter plastic pop bottles. We'd funnel/stuff in the peat moss, drop in a few little rocks, and drop in the plant. Used a dowel to get it more or less in place and gently press the roots down into the peat moss or terrarium soil...added a little bit of water and then watched them grow! You could cap or uncap as needed.

Okay, I have some metal cigarette boxes (single packs) that my husband has saved for me - I don't smoke. They're quite pretty as they are - American Spirit - but I want to make them totally "new" and use them for.....what????

Will alcohol inks cover the design? I bet not...so, suggestions? And for uses?? They're your average ciggie pack size, and have flip tops.

Comment

Ermm thats a toughie. Got a few ideas for them but Im a bit confused what part of them you thought were pretty when you also talked of inking over them!

If they are plain you could engrave things into them or if the design is pretty you could flatten them and use as wall art? Thats quite extreme if its just cig ads though, makes you look smoking obsessed perhaps, or like a bar that misses people being able to smoke there ha.

You could use them for storing little things like beads or jewelry if you decoupage or collage or mosaic the boxes, alternatively a mosaic maid somehow from them? Could look really pretty.

As discussed earlier perhaps tea lights/candles? Considering the size you might need 2 small wicks, one on each side and they might not last too long but you can put them out just by closing the lid

Or even travel boxs, handbag sized things like makeup holders (mirror in the lid) travel sewing kit for quilting on the road..

No idea what alcohol ink is though. I think atlas pages or newspaper pages would make plain or advert labelled boxes look cute again.

KayleighAnn
                    My Homemade Life

Comment

You can see pics of them here -

http://www.smokes-spirits.com/StoreD.../2/category/28

He's got mostly turquoise ones, but a couple of red ones and some silver ones with turquoise lids. They're all embossed with the brand name and the Indian chief smoking a peace pipe...

The colors are pretty, the Thunderbird on the lids is cool, and as I sit here looking at one of the boxes, it has struck me that they're the perfect size for a bar of my soap!

Shoot, there is printing on every side...

Mainly I am thinking that I could figure out some way to cover the words, and the Thunderbird with pretty smudges of color, and then stick my label on the front. So basically it'd just be a form of recycled packaging. Then the buyer could spend time figuring out how they could re-use!! =D

Alcohol inks are for use on glossy paper, dominoes, metal, foil, shrink plastic, glass and other slick surfaces. And they're expensive so I hate to experiment with them! But I have just found a tutorial...jeez, you can find just about everything on the internet, can't you.

Comment

They are pretty! found a way to paint onto the metal without the expensive inks here

http://www.ehow.com/how_2086131_paint-metal.html

As an experiment I would mix the primer with some sand to help normal paint stick unless you want a smooth finish then do as it suggests I guess! It makes it sound complicated using words like primer simplified I guess its just paint primer over it and you can then paint onto it in acrylics?
                        Then you could cover the logo and writing with a beautiful design and sell on as mini sew kits, storage boxes or handbag boxes (Im still a bit stuck on the makeup thing with a mirror in it haha)

KayleighAnn
                        My Homemade Life

Comment

Thanks! I think i will go with smooth....

Comment

Proabably for the best! ha

KayleighAnn
                            My Homemade Life

Comment

Instructables.com has some great tutorials on how to make just about anything, there is a green and reuse category as well

Everything I make is either, recycled, reclaimed, from second hand etc, hardly anything in my house is new. I but secondhand furniture to do up, make rag rugs, even fix up/upcycle old clothes esp knitwear With a pitiful income and 3 kids whom destroy everything it's definetely a better way of life!
                              Blog
                              http://minervascrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X