No announcement yet.

Shrinking sweet wrapper/crisp packets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrinking sweet wrapper/crisp packets?

Hello, does anyone know which sort of wrapper will shrink in the oven? I remember friends doing this when I was younger and noticed how cute they look when tiny (this was in the 70's!). I have tried recently and none of the packets i have used seem to shrink. Are the manufacturers using different plastics these days? Does anyone know of any packets/wrappers that will shrink in the oven.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah. I've been wondering about this myself. I certainly remember making brooches years ago by threading a safety pin through the back of a crisp packet and then shrinking it in the oven. It was great. I too wonder whether the plastic is different now...

Comment

I discovered this unusual art whilst I was bored at work the other day!! There's actually a facebook group complete with loads of pictures of the best wrappers to shrink!
      www.joyceandjodie.folksy.com

Comment

ooooooh that facebook group sounds good! What do I need to type in to find it.

Thanks for that!

Sarah x

Comment

I've just looked it up now for you - it's the "crisp packet shrinkers appreciation group" ha ha!

There's even a crisp packet origami group on there as well - Have fun!
          www.joyceandjodie.folksy.com

Comment

thanks, jodels i'm going to give it a go!

sarah x

Comment

crisp packets never used to have foil linings so that probably makes a difference. I remember friends doing this too but never tried it myself.
              View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

OMG now that takes me back in time - I can remember doing this with beef flavour monster munch packets (funny how I cant remember what day it is half the time but I can remember such useless things LOL)

If I remember rightly I am sure we put ours under the grill and then watched them shrink - Im so excited about this I think i might just have to have a go.

Donna
                The Soap Fairy xx
                www.thesoapfairy.net

Comment

I used to do this in college! (despite the fact I was meant to be doing jewellery design haha!)

You can also use acetate sheets and 'mould' them around objects. We used to model a design from fimo, bake til hard and then mould the acetate over - make great earrings and can be painted with glass paint.
                  Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
                  Precious Creations website
                  Precious Creations facebook page
                  Artisan Website design at low cost! and my personal website (same link)
                  My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

Comment

Nice thread!!

((Laughing...)) totally by accident some years ago, I discovered you could shrink Flora magarine tubs the same way. I popped a tub in the microwave as I wanted to melt the last few bits of marge - zapped too long - opened the door to a cute little miniature flat Flora and a lake of molten fat....!!!

Comment

wow that sounds ace! - and takes me back! LOL

Please put some pics up of your shrunken items!

Lilly x

Comment

Working...
                      X