• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparkysdad
    Banned
    Super crafter
    • Jan 2009

SAMS (Scrap Art Material Store) Blackburn Lancs

My O/h has just been to SAMS - apparently they are a community project to reduce waste and recycle stuff, and have all sorts of "stuff" from the wierd (bra straps!) to the mundane - plastic spray bottles, fabric roll ends, Hessian, Card, offcuts and so forth..

Sounds like the stock is more geared to community groups, schools and the like, but for anyone local may be worth a visit.. They charge an annual membership of £20, and each visit you can fill a trolley for £13.. or a basket (£7?)..

Maybe worth a look for anyone living fairly locally.. Or for anyone who works for a company that has reuseable "waste" that could be recycled for arts and crafts materials.. (still not sure there are many "other" uses for bra straps.. )

• bodrighy
    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by sparkysdad;227891(still not sure there are many "other" uses for bra straps.. :p)

[url
    http://www.cbpartners.org/sams.html[/url]

They make fairly good catapults if I remember correctly, at least they did in the fifties though come to think of it they were a bit more substantial then

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

• rainbowcentral
      100+ crafts club
      • Apr 2009

sounds like a fantastic place but I already have enough 'rubbish' in my room - no where to keep anything else!!
      ReganLottie x

Art Blog: http://invitationtothevoyage.blogspot.com/

Comment

• sparkysdad
        Banned
        Super crafter
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
        They make fairly good catapults if I remember correctly, at least they did in the fifties though come to think of it they were a bit more substantial then

Pete
        Sounds like what we as kids called the OSBH style (Over shoulder Boulder holder)!!

Comment

• sparkysdad
          Banned
          Super crafter
          • Jan 2009

Oh.. O/h brought home a half metre length of a really nice fabric.. said it inspired him for Cushions..!

Apparently that means it inspired him to give it to me in the hope I would make it in to covers.. !

Comment

• bodrighy
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post
            Sounds like what we as kids called the OSBH style (Over shoulder Boulder holder)!!

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

• Tip Top
              • Apr 2007

It's £5 for a basket

Went on Tuesday!!

Comment

• sparkysdad
                Banned
                Super crafter
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Tip Top View Post
                It's £5 for a basket

Went on Tuesday!!
                Oh, even better value then.. Did you get lots of useful stuff?? the O/h was suitably vague about the range of stuff available!

Comment

• Tip Top
                  • Apr 2007

You need to go there yourself to see - its a weird and very wonderful place!

Swirly goes a lot (I blame her for the bad influence!)

Comment

• Moonbeam Angel
                    Super mega big crafter
                    • Nov 2008

We have something similar in Clacton called "Tree" meaning Tendring re-use "something" enterprise.

It was set up by a lady a few years ago along the same lines as the one you mention but also to employ learning disabled adults. It was fantastic and had lots of things for crafting. It was £10 membership per year (for an individual) and you could go as many times as you liked and get what you wanted free, they weighed the amount you took and logged it against your membership!!!!!!

However, the lady left to have a baby and a man took over. He is more of a business man and has taken over the space with electrical white goods for sale (all secondhand) he also now has two shops in town, one for white goods and the other for furniture. The aim is supposed to be to sell good quality second hand items at reasonable prices so that the less fortunate in the area (on the increase due to the recession) could buy items

Sadly, the craft section has diminished considerable, the membership has increased significantly and so have the prices of the items for sale!

I recently went there to look for a fridge, ok nice fridge for £45 but then he wanted to charge a further £25 to deliver it (just over a mile) making it £70.

I went to Comet and got a brand new one for £99!
                    Diane
                    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

• sparkysdad
                      Banned
                      Super crafter
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                      We have something similar in Clacton called "Tree" meaning Tendring re-use "something" enterprise.

It was set up by a lady a few years ago along the same lines as the one you mention but also to employ learning disabled adults. It was fantastic and had lots of things for crafting. It was £10 membership per year (for an individual) and you could go as many times as you liked and get what you wanted free, they weighed the amount you took and logged it against your membership!!!!!!

However, the lady left to have a baby and a man took over. He is more of a business man and has taken over the space with electrical white goods for sale (all secondhand) he also now has two shops in town, one for white goods and the other for furniture. The aim is supposed to be to sell good quality second hand items at reasonable prices so that the less fortunate in the area (on the increase due to the recession) could buy items

Sadly, the craft section has diminished considerable, the membership has increased significantly and so have the prices of the items for sale!

I recently went there to look for a fridge, ok nice fridge for £45 but then he wanted to charge a further £25 to deliver it (just over a mile) making it £70.

I went to Comet and got a brand new one for £99!
                      We have a furniture recycling charity thats gone a bit that way.. they charge to collect "donations"! so you can't be bothered to be messed about and pay £40..

Comment

• twiggypeasticks
                        Moderate crafter
                        • Nov 2007

Hi
                        There is a fab scrapstore in Leeds that I've visited a couple of times - I found them after reading about SAMS on Swirlys blog. Annual membership is £6 and I got a basket full of goodies for a fiver. Well worth a visit, I'd ring to check opening times if you're going to go though as the website isn't up to date. I haven't posted enough to add links, so got to a search engine and type in scrapstore!!

twiggy x
                        My weekly witterings
                        http://theworldoftwiggypeasticks.blogspot.com/
                        My shop
                        http://twiggysemporium.blogspot.com/
                        My Etsy shop
                        http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5384097

Comment

Working...
                        X