Paper Recycling/Paper Mache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper Recycling/Paper Mache

I am trying to make new sheets of paper out of recylced paper but my new sheets always seem to come out on the thick side and are more like thin cardboard,

Does anyone know any tips in getting the new sheets to be more like sheets of normal paper?
    www.CraftyJuls.co.uk

Paper-making

Hi! Can you give me some idea of method you have used so far? Also what paper you have used. I know I have had similar problems in past and think I helped solve it by experimentation using a selection of better quality paper e.g used writing paper. Also I think I made thinner layers of paper. Its been a while but hope this helps. If not trying googling papier mache as there are some experts on the web! Good luck! Please let us know how you get on. Best Wishes, Txxx

Comment

I think you might want to blend more water with your paper mulch to thin down the paper sheets.

There is a really great flickr tutorial on paper making (which I don't have bookmarked) but I think if you search for it on flickr it will come up.

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Juls View Post
        I am trying to make new sheets of paper out of recylced paper but my new sheets always seem to come out on the thick side and are more like thin cardboard,

Does anyone know any tips in getting the new sheets to be more like sheets of normal paper?
        normal papers are machine made
        recycle

Comment

Originally posted by gypsypunk View Post
          normal papers are machine made
          True... but they don't have to be. The paper I saw being made by hand (at Wookey Hole, I think) wasn't really thick & clunky... and that was made by a bloke with a wire-mesh tray. It's maybe down to how thick you make the pulpy squish, and how you dip it, and so on? Worth experimenting, I'm sure
          Cheers,
          Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
          Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

paper making

Most commercial paper is machine made and the final stage it is sent through a series of rollers which smooth and compact it to make writing and printable paper. The 2 types of paper produced are wove and laid, for wove, the stuff flows onto a rolling sieve then it is picked up on the dryin rollers, for laid paper the rolling sieve goes through a "bath" of stuff and emerges with a layer on it which then goes through the driers. ( I think thats the right way round it's been a few years since I worked at the paper mill)
            The weight of the finished paper machine made and hand made is determined mainly by the quality and density of the stuff (the paper/water mix) the fibers need to be quite fine and the mix fairly watery to get fine paper

Colin

Comment

Ive only done paper making a few times, but i remember when we did it at college, our tutor used an old food blender to make a really smooth watery mulch and then just sieved it as usual, it seemed to work quite well, not sure if this is how you have been doing it but it worked for me.
              Rudi

Comment

It sounds to me like you're picking up too much paper on your mesh as you lift out of the water. Try thinning out the mixture with more water.

Also, like Rudi said, are you using a blender to chop up the paper you're using?

I'm sure if you do a search on the net you'll find some helpful pages.
                Yvonne
                x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
                My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Comment

was just going to add use a blender but see its already been suggested
                  Good luck
                  Suz
                  http://8thofthe8thofthe8th.blogspot.com/ new for 2012

http://shroshirescrappersuz.blogspot.com/ 2009-2011

Comment

Awww this has been really helpful to me too - always wanted to have a go at making hand made paper - it's so much more interesting than the commerical machine made stuff
                    Dee

Comment

Hi,
                      I think experimentation is the key!
                      I've just recently started making paper last week and im really enjoying the experience - my house now resembles a small paper mill. Make sure your pulp is well pulped in a blender and dont have the pulp too thick.
                      Good luck and keep playing around, its great fun.
                      Sue
                      www.artbysusanjefferson.co.uk

Twitter @suecreative

Comment

Working...
                      X