Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polymer Clay !!!

Hi All Fellow Crafters

I just typed out quite a long post and it vanished, So here we go again.

I have bought myselfe some poly clay - Fimo soft....I wanted to cover some wine glasses...I made a cane of flowers and swirls however what I ended up with was rubbish and I now feel really cross with the waste of clay. I read a lot of how too sites before starting the cane but did'nt actually have a plan I just went with the flow.....Am I just to hasty, I usually am with everything !!.
    When you cover say somthing like a wine glass how do you fill the gaps between the circles iygwim. Also I had real trouble keeping the shape of the cane...I put it in the fridge overnight but it still squished as i cut it.
    Any advise would be geat...Thank you

sorry, can't help you with your problem, but I'm sure some of the fimo people will be along shorlty to assist you.
    to the forum anyhow!

Comment

The trick to cutting round slices is to do as you did by putting it into the fridge over night and then to use a very very sharp blade. You can buy them specifically for fimo, but i use those disposable craft knives taken to pieces. you need to sort of roll the can as you slice.
      You have several options for covering the wine glass but to be honest the best way is to roll out some clay into a large flat and apply the circles to that, it's much easier than trying to add bits between the circles.

This link has a whole directory of methods: http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/cy.../contents.html
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Cant help with this one as the only time I've done my own canes is when I made a load of fairy wings - and these were not put onto a surface.

I agree with what beadsbydesign has said, follow those guidlines and you should be okay.

Good luck.

Pauline
        Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

hello ive only used moulds for polymer clay to attach to cards this may be a stupid question but wont the glass smash when you bake it to harden it in the oven
          Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't know if you have tried this but I find when cutting canes it is best to use a sawing motion with not too much pressure. This will help not to squash and smudge the colours.

I can't really help with the covering of objects as i've not done anything bigger than covering beads. One tip that I can give is when you have placed all of your canes pieces and you want to seal all the lines where each piece meets, just roll a needle over the seams, no need to apply pressure as this can dent the clay. This will seal all the seams and cover up the lines a bit.

I hope this helps.
            Handmade jewellery and accessories using glass, crystals, wire and more!
            www.iridescentdesigns.co.uk

Comment

solution!

hi there, ive had he same problem...my fimo canes went all squashed! The trick I found was to use a scalpel blade very carefully with minimal pressure... and to treat it like broken glass so when you pick it up it doesnt become distorted. Another tip (my hands are generally quite hot) is to wear latex gloves so that no fingerprints are left on the clay.

Hope this helps!

D x

Comment

My first fimo attempt resulted in burnt little feet - fimo not mine!!

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...=fimo+disaster

Have a laugh!!

Comment

I know I am a bit late with this response but I would say two things here. Firstly, there is no such thing as wasted clay! Blend it to make new colours and you will have a kaleidoscope of colour in your clay drawer!
                  I use my 'waste clay' as a first layer before adding 'good ' clay where it is visible, so all is not lost there.
                  Secondly, I would never advise fimo soft for cane work. The classic clay holds its shape much better when slicing. I use a swann morton scalpel to slice the canes. If you slice thinly enough, you can blend edges together by hand or even run it through your pasta machine at the thickest setting to get a uniformly thick sheet of clay. I find this sometimes distorts the millefiori effect a little and looks ever so pretty.
                  Hope this helps someone someday
                  See my Happy Reflections wedding cake toppers and more at http://www.nikkisnoveltygifts.com

Comment

Originally posted by nikkisnoveltygifts View Post
                    I know I am a bit late with this response but I would say two things here. Firstly, there is no such thing as wasted clay! Blend it to make new colours and you will have a kaleidoscope of colour in your clay drawer!
                    I use my 'waste clay' as a first layer before adding 'good ' clay where it is visible, so all is not lost there.
                    Secondly, I would never advise fimo soft for cane work. The classic clay holds its shape much better when slicing. I use a swann morton scalpel to slice the canes. If you slice thinly enough, you can blend edges together by hand or even run it through your pasta machine at the thickest setting to get a uniformly thick sheet of clay. I find this sometimes distorts the millefiori effect a little and looks ever so pretty.
                    Hope this helps someone someday
                    Hi,
                    sorry for being late..nikkisnoveltygifts is absolutely right,and I would add also that,if you have trouble smoothing the seams together on the glass, what you can do is also to create a sheet with a very thin layer of clay and you can arrange the slices on the top of it;then you cover the sheet with some backing paper and pass the roller to smooth the edges.It may be easier than doing it when the cane is already on the object..and it also helps to let the cane to rest before reducing it..but fimo classic is the one for canes,particularly if you don't work so often with clay..hope this helps
                    xx ary
                    www.petitechacal.com
                    http://somuchlife-petitechacal.blogspot.com/
                    www.petitechacal.etsy.com

Comment

I can't get my head round what a wine glass would like with fimo on it?? Does anyone have any pictures of something like that???
                      Rach

Facebook
                      Website
                      Blog
                      Folksy

Comment

Fimo Classic would be a bit better for the project, but you can leech Fimo Soft to make it a bit stiffer.

Leeching is a way to remove some of the oil from the clay. Roll the clay out into a sheet and lay it between two sheets of white printer paper.

After an hour or two, remove the clay and recondition. It should be a bit stiffer. If not, just repeat the process until the clay is firmer.

To do anything with canes does require a slow and steady approach I think if you want the best results. So maybe try adding the cane slices and just smoothing them flat with a hand roller, working one cane slice at a time. Just work around the glass and take it in stages. Once you have flattened the slices a bit, rest the clay for a while (or put it in the fridge) and let the clay firm up before you go for a second round of smoothing.

Eventually you will get the result you want! You might also need to sand the clay after baking too to even up any dodgy areas. The effect is wonderful when done well though so well worth persevering.

I also think its a good idea when starting out with canework to try using shades of the same colour, that way you really learn about the importance of contrast in canemaking firstly (if you are using different shades of the same colour, it is impossible to then choose colours that do not contrast enough - which is a killer for canework, making it look pretty lifeless)

The other advantage to that is that if it all goes pear shaped you can just mush all the clay up and have a nice colour to use in other projects rather than just Mud (although there is plenty of cool stuff to be made with mud too as others have mentioned
                        Emma
                        www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                        www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                        www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by ejralph View Post
                          Fimo Classic would be a bit better for the project, but you can leech Fimo Soft to make it a bit stiffer.

Leeching is a way to remove some of the oil from the clay. Roll the clay out into a sheet and lay it between two sheets of white printer paper.

After an hour or two, remove the clay and recondition. It should be a bit stiffer. If not, just repeat the process until the clay is firmer.

To do anything with canes does require a slow and steady approach I think if you want the best results. So maybe try adding the cane slices and just smoothing them flat with a hand roller, working one cane slice at a time. Just work around the glass and take it in stages. Once you have flattened the slices a bit, rest the clay for a while (or put it in the fridge) and let the clay firm up before you go for a second round of smoothing.

Eventually you will get the result you want! You might also need to sand the clay after baking too to even up any dodgy areas. The effect is wonderful when done well though so well worth persevering.

I also think its a good idea when starting out with canework to try using shades of the same colour, that way you really learn about the importance of contrast in canemaking firstly (if you are using different shades of the same colour, it is impossible to then choose colours that do not contrast enough - which is a killer for canework, making it look pretty lifeless)

The other advantage to that is that if it all goes pear shaped you can just mush all the clay up and have a nice colour to use in other projects rather than just Mud (although there is plenty of cool stuff to be made with mud too as others have mentioned
                          Wow! Just had to tell you how much I like your beadwork!! Fantastic...
                          Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh thank you so much Gail.

You have made my evening!
                            Emma
                            www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                            www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                            www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

if its a wine glass you are trying to cover, why not just get some glass paint, theres some really nice ones available.

Comment

Working...
                              X