air dry clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air dry clay

i would love to try air dry clay but can i ask is it possible to glaze it.
    www.myeviemyrose.etsy.com http://www.facebook.com/myeviemyroseuk

Hi,

Air dry clay can be painted and varnished. I don't think glazing as used in ceramics is possible as this would require the item to be fired in a kiln.

Comment

I use a water based varnish on air dry clay after painting- you can get matte, satin or gloss versions. I agree with harebell- I don't think you'd be able to use real ceramic glaze
      Mythillogical- Myths & Fabrications: Creating all manner of three-dimensional mixed media oddities
      etsy facebook blog tumblr

Comment

Hi, Air drying clays sold as modelling clays won't tolorate the high temps of a kiln. Painting and varnishin the best way to go.
        Art with Nature
        www.newmoorbarn.com

Comment

Don't forget there's polymer clay too - you can get a very realistic "faux" glazed look on polyclay by using paints and other fun stuff (private message me if you want a link to my tutorial on that technique)

Emma
          Emma
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
          www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Air dry clay has nylon fibres in it to increase its strength. When you fire airdry clay the nylon melts and probably harmful gases.
            www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Yep, I agree with Emma. The polymer clay is a great way to go! Just watch out however, when buying it, some places misrepresent it. They say it's "polymer" clay, when it's really a derivative or something totally different. Stick with known brands.
              Knowledge is everything!

My website: http://terramundi.com

Comment

Working...
              X