Total Newbie, looking for training course / advice re: starting up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Newbie, looking for training course / advice re: starting up

Hello everyone, I hope I am posting this is in the right place!

Just wondering if anyone knows of any courses / workshops in Scotland which teach the basics of ceramics / using a kiln? I would LOVE to start a business doing paint your own ceramics but have no idea where to start! Been having a look at kilns online and some forum posts about using them and am realising there is a lot to learn!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance .

Lisa x

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I do not know about courses in Scotland but if you google pottery courses you should be able to see a few. When I started I attended an adult course at my local art college where I learnt how to throw and handbuild and the different glazing/colouring techniques. To be honest I did not learn much about kilns there as the firing was always done by one of the teachers. Our local council run pottery courses. The library is also a great place to get pottery books. I must have read about 50 over the years (I started about 12 years ago). When I bought my first kiln it came with firing instructions and I just followed those and have never had a problem. My other idea would be to talk to someone who is running an established ceramic cafe and see if they offer workshops.

Good luck with it!

Comment

Working...
    X