Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to paint a plate and fire in my own kitchen????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to paint a plate and fire in my own kitchen????

Hi there, not sure if I am in the right place. I would love to make personalised plates for my kids for Christmas. More so, ones they can eat their dinner off ie non toxic. Just wondered....is there a paint I can use which is non toxic but will withstand the dishwasher....and can I fire it in my own kithen oven....would really appreciate any advice....thanks

Hi and Welcome to the forum. My own experience is that ceramic paint that can be proved in a domestic oven will not withstand an energetic wash in a machine. I have not used any for several years so maybe there is something else in the market place, if so, I am sure someone will be along shortly with the info.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Oh thanks critchley...hmm thought that might be the case....how much would. A kiln set me back....?

Comment

A pottery kiln could set you back in the region of a £1000, then you'd have to get clay and glazes and learn all about different firing techniques etc. And there's lots of stuff about safety for plates that you're going to eat off, let alone dishwasher proof.

Your best bet would be to find one of those 'paint your own' ceramic shops (most major towns have one) where they provide you with the once-fired plate or ornament or whatever, and a selection of paints and brushes. You can sit in the shop with a cup of coffee and decorate to your heart's content. Then they fire it for you and you collect it a few days later.
        Last edited by Cuckoos Nest; 15-11-2011, 11:20 PM.
        Kate
        www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

Try Marabu Ceramic Paints (available online) they are dishwasher proof/safe and can be cured in a domestic oven too.
          Tutor in PMC Silver Clay in the West Midlands
          Facebook:
          https://www.facebook.com/MetalClayTutor
          http://www.artclayjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by julesie View Post
            Try Marabu Ceramic Paints (available online) they are dishwasher proof/safe and can be cured in a domestic oven too.
            I used these a few years ago at a workshop run by Marabu to decorate a mug. It frequently goes through the dishwasher and doesn't fade at all (unlike some of the commercially printed mugs we have) I really can't remember curing it in the oven but I'm guessing I must have done.
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Here are two alternative ways to decorate ceramics.

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk...ts_CSP107I.htm

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk...-Paper_256.htm

I have not tried either product but some other Forum members have used them and found them good.

Roger

Comment

Oooh...the magic decal looks very cool...and pretty easy.....anyone on here use it....do you definitely need a laminator or just a laser printer?

Comment

Mod Edit - rule break
                  Last edited by removed10; 18-11-2011, 03:07 AM.
                  COUNTRY LOVE CRAFTS - 01235 861700
                  Ceramic Supplies, Craft Blanks, Acrylic Paints, Decopatch and Much More! Global shipping. Speedy Deliveries.
                  Facebook * Twitter * Website * E-mail *

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                    I used these a few years ago at a workshop run by Marabu to decorate a mug. It frequently goes through the dishwasher and doesn't fade at all (unlike some of the commercially printed mugs we have) I really can't remember curing it in the oven but I'm guessing I must have done.
                    The latest pens from Marabu do not even need curing in an oven, just leave to airdry!
                    It will never be as durable as 'REAL' ceramic, but then I am HUGELY biased! I will admit though, the non-firing products over the past few years have got much, much better.

Matt

Comment

I did a tutorial last week on this... I have always used Pebeo paints and they are dishwasher proof and available in good craft stores
                      Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                        I used the Marabu as well ...was probably the best paint I have used so far.
                        I managed to make a really nice vase and some other home decorations I am really proud of.
                        Last edited by blackcoffeeforme; 23-01-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X