Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay newbie - ceramic buttons - any help really appreciated ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay newbie - ceramic buttons - any help really appreciated ;-)

I make and sell handmade silver findings and charms for jewellery makers and would like to start making some ceramic buttons and small pendants/charms. I have a paragon kiln SC3, not sure if I'm being too ambitious wanting to use this ?

Can anyone give me some ideas for starting (which clay, which glazes etc) for starting in a small way (if it's possible with the above) and anywhere I can buy the glazes in small amounts to try out colours etc.

Thanks v much
    Karen
    My Website - www.lavidalerie.com
    FaceBook Page- www.lavidalerie.com/JewelleryMakingHolidaysandWorkshops.html
    I'm new to blogging so please be gentle - www.lavidaleriesilverjewellery.wordpress.com

Paragon SC3

Hello,

You have a Paragon SC3 which will fire to 1095 degrees max. You need earthenware clay and glazes.

Companies like Bath Potters Supplies, Valentines and Potclays will send you 1kg samples of clay. Look at their websites and read about the various clays and look at the glazes that they sell. Choose some and try them. If you also search for instructions as to how to fire to biscuit and then glaze temperatures, then you will be able to make a start. Please ask for any more info. Sorry but I can't post the links to these sites. I am not allowed to do this until I have 25 posts or more! I believe that they are also checking to see in my grannie was a member of the Communist Party and whether I have ever eaten Shredded Wheat with Marmite on!

Otherwise, find out if there are any local potters working with earthenware. They might give you a sample of their clay to try.

Good luck!

Terrorcotta
    We all sit on the banks of the same river.

Comment

Hi Terrorcotta - Thanks very much for all the info, you've given me a great starting point when I was totally confused. I should have mentioned that I live in a very rural bit of France so supplies aren't easy to find so a website recomendation is gratefully received.

thanks again
      K
      My Website - www.lavidalerie.com
      FaceBook Page- www.lavidalerie.com/JewelleryMakingHolidaysandWorkshops.html
      I'm new to blogging so please be gentle - www.lavidaleriesilverjewellery.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
      X