DIY Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Wheel

I am looking to build a wheel for my Fiance' who is in need of one now. She has been using the Brent CXC's at school which seem to be very nice. At $1000 though, i cant justify it.

I am very mechanically inclined and have access to just about anything i will need to build it.
    The thing i am worried about is speed control. I can get a 1/4hp DC motor from grainger. She wants a foot controller like CXC's have. When you take your foot off the pedal it holds the speed.
    Where can i get a foot controller like that?
    The Brents have a solid state "module", will that be needed?

Thank you very much for your help and input.

David

Expensive option could be a 3 phase motor with variable speed inverter, I presume you are in the US by your $ sign so have no experience of your power supplies.

Least expensive/and easiest IMO could be by using a commercial sewing machine motor with spring loaded clutch. You can pick up these motors in UK for about £70 used, but in good condition. I presume you would have similar motors your side of the pond. Although to operate you keep your foot on the clutch pedal all the time, pressing down for fast, lift up to slow down, some of my friends are using them on small lathes and they work great.
    regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

try to take a look at RS Components, when my husband had an idea to make a wheel for me, he found pedal overthere, for reasonable price. (however he decided to buy me wheel instead of making it...he is bit lazy)

Comment

Thank you for the input. You are correct, i am from across the pond.

Its going to be single phase 110v outlet.
        Something like this is probably what i would use:
        Item
        General Purpose MotorMotor Type
        Split-PhaseEnclosure
        Open DripproofHP
        1/4Number of Speeds
        1Nameplate RPM
        1725NEMA/IEC Frame
        48ZVoltage
        115Phase
        1Full Load Amps
        5.1Mounting
        BaseThermal Protection
        NoneInsulation Class
        BService Factor
        1.15Bearings
        BallAmbient (C)
        40Rotation
        CW/CCWShaft Dia. (In.)
        1/2Shaft Length (In.)
        2-1/4RPM Range
        1400-1800Standards
        UL Recognized (E47479), CSA Certified (LR63596)$86 + shipping. My dad may have one laying around though.
        motor says 115v, which is fine. outlet can get 120v.

will a foot pedal "rheostat" be all that is needed to spin the wheel or will it be too jumpy when changing speed?

Comment

Originally posted by 95GTSpeedDemon View Post
          Thank you for the input. You are correct, i am from across the pond.

Its going to be single phase 110v outlet.
          Something like this is probably what i would use:
          Item
          General Purpose MotorMotor Type
          Split-PhaseEnclosure
          Open DripproofHP
          1/4Number of Speeds
          1Nameplate RPM
          1725NEMA/IEC Frame
          48ZVoltage
          115Phase
          1Full Load Amps
          5.1Mounting
          BaseThermal Protection
          NoneInsulation Class
          BService Factor
          1.15Bearings
          BallAmbient (C)
          40Rotation
          CW/CCWShaft Dia. (In.)
          1/2Shaft Length (In.)
          2-1/4RPM Range
          1400-1800Standards
          UL Recognized (E47479), CSA Certified (LR63596)$86 + shipping. My dad may have one laying around though.
          motor says 115v, which is fine. outlet can get 120v.

will a foot pedal "rheostat" be all that is needed to spin the wheel or will it be too jumpy when changing speed?
          Motor;- ain't got a clue I've no real electrical knowledge, but for what I think I don't believe a rheostat would work with that sort of motor power, you would have to find some way of dissipating the heat build up.

Better to have a word with a real 'spark' IMO. If you plan on this route.

Good luck.
          regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Working...
          X