Procedure for a earthenware firing with a gas kiln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procedure for a earthenware firing with a gas kiln

I have a gas kiln and I have worked out how to do bisque and stoneware glaze firings. Please can anyone give me advice on how to do an earthenware firing? I need temperatures, rate of climb and soaking please.

Many thanks

Unfortunatelly I do not know about firing I gas kiln, but when I got mine electric, I found all diagrams on internet. Also I have one book with all diagrams. I can scan few pages and post it tomorow.

Comment

It depends on the clay (some have different recommended firing temperatures) but we recommend:

*4-5 hours from 0-600oc - approximately 150oc per hour
      *approximately 2-3 hours from 600-1020oc
      *20-30min soak

I hope that helps.
      COUNTRY LOVE CRAFTS - 01235 861700
      Ceramic Supplies, Craft Blanks, Acrylic Paints, Decopatch and Much More! Global shipping. Speedy Deliveries.
      Facebook * Twitter * Website * E-mail *

Comment

Obviously you may need to adjust the top temp as some earthenware glazes mature at higher temps. Mine fires best at 1080
        www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by CountryLoveCrafts View Post
          It depends on the clay (some have different recommended firing temperatures) but we recommend:

*4-5 hours from 0-600oc - approximately 150oc per hour
          *approximately 2-3 hours from 600-1020oc
          *20-30min soak

I hope that helps.
          We would advise firing up to 300deg at the rate of 100 degC per hour (slower the better until you're sure of results, and less likely to have blow outs) then 150 deg per hour to 600, then full on up to required temp (we would fire higher than 1020, but you need to follow the recommendations of the glaze you buy, or the recipe you use).

Have to say our kiln is electric so we have the benefit of computer programming. Don't know if you can get that with gas.
          Kate
          www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

You can now get programmable gas kilns, but they cost the proverbial arm and leg!

Comment

Working...
            X