• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gizz
    Junior crafter
    • Jan 2011

pot decorating advice

I would like to decorate some bought unglazed teracotta clay flowerpots (the cheap ones you get from garden centres). I am assuming they have just been biscuit fired, so I can use a paint on glaze and then fire them? If I don't do that, could anyone recommend a paint that would be suitable instead? Thanks!
  • CountryLoveCrafts
    100+ crafts club
    • Dec 2010

Unfired clay (of every type) has a recommended firing temperature. All colours and glazes have recommended firing temperatures too. The clay and glazes need to be compatible. Unless you know the recommended firing temperature of the terracotta clay, I would avoid firing it in a kiln.

I would recommend using DecoArt's Patio Paints to decorate the terracotta pots. Patio Paints can be used indoors or outdoors and they are weather resistent. Go to andy skinner .org and look for the free flowerpot tutorial.

Have fun!
    COUNTRY LOVE CRAFTS - 01235 861700
    Ceramic Supplies, Craft Blanks, Acrylic Paints, Decopatch and Much More! Global shipping. Speedy Deliveries.
    Facebook * Twitter * Website * E-mail *

Comment

• gizz
      Junior crafter
      • Jan 2011

Thanks for the advice. Would I neede to prime the pots first, I notice the ones in the tutorial were white. Any recommendation on what to use? Thanks again!

Comment

• gz.
        Moderate crafter
        • Mar 2010

Test fire in a saggar. Then you wont ruin a shelf! Put a set of cones (three is a good idea) beside the saggar then you've an idea of what temperature that part of the kiln reached.. If you can glaze instead of painting the pot it would look so much more attractive and would probably last better too.

Comment

• ivarica
          Moderate crafter
          • Jan 2011

I think low firing temperature glazes should be ok. I wouldn't use once that need to be fired on high temperature because you do not know what kind of clay has been used for pots, but with glazes up to 940 degrees it should be ok. You can also protect kiln with ceramic paper.

Comment

• CountryLoveCrafts
            100+ crafts club
            • Dec 2010

Nope the Patio Paints don't need priming. For more inspiration and advice go to DecoArt .com, click on the project library and choose the paint range "Patio Paint". Then just select a project to find out more. For example, the Tuxedo pot was a terracotta pot.
            COUNTRY LOVE CRAFTS - 01235 861700
            Ceramic Supplies, Craft Blanks, Acrylic Paints, Decopatch and Much More! Global shipping. Speedy Deliveries.
            Facebook * Twitter * Website * E-mail *

Comment

• toppotter
              100+ crafts club
              • Jan 2009

If you are succesful at glazing your terracotta you have to remember that glaze on low temp porus clay can often be pushed off if the pot is wet and it freezes.
              www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X