Raku kiln furniture-iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raku kiln furniture-iron?

I'm building a raku kiln and wondering about how the ware gets positioned above the burner and the flow of heat etc. I looked at an old cast iron fire grate that would fit nicely , thought "it's a pity you can't use cast iron" , and then wondered why not. I suppose there might be some interaction between the ferric compounds in the hot air and the glaze (maybe nice ones!) , but you could put a wash over the iron . It has a melting temp twice as high as raku . But I can't see any reference to anyone using anything other than standard kiln shelves.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

taking a bit of a risk of melting or softening your cast iron.

Hi Oliku, don't know much about cast iron but wikapediea says its melting point is 1150 -1200 centigrade, so yes lower than raku temps. However propane burns at 1950 centigrade so I guess you are taking a bit of a risk of melting or softening your cast iron.
    My suggestion is that you use 3 HTI bricks below your kiln shelf. the shelf being higher than your burner port.

Hope this helps Robin
    www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Modern Contemporary Furniture.

As I got complete satisfaction so I can suggest you Spacify is a perfect place which displays varied quality furniture products that are perfect blend of style and utility. Whether to give a face lift to home d├ęcor or just want to replace old sofa with a modern piece, Spacify gives the ultimate furniture shopping experience. It in-stores various European and Italian design furniture to give the right feel to home decor.

MODERN CONTEMPORARY FURNITURE AT Spacify

Comment

What??????? A ceramic sofa maybe???
        Kate
        www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

I always use three pieces of HTI bricks which lift the shelf above the burner port. Angle the front support brick so that a corner faces the burner. That way the flame is split and deflected giving a nice swirl of flame around the kiln.

John
          I follow the "Way of the Clay"
          http://www.lockettpots.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X