raku reduction process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ref thermal shock

Ref thermal shock, it seems that what often causes problems is a change of thickness in the clay. The theory goes that if the clay is even in thickness then any temp change happens to the whole piece simultaneously and does not cause any stresses. Hence slip cast will usually stand up to a raku firing process.
    I often see this with people selecting kiln shelves for a raku kiln, where they think thicker the better, the opposite is true in this case.

regards

Robin
    www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

sawdust and thermal shocks

thanks Robin(top potter)
      i take your point about the sawdust and thankfully what i have is a mixture of sawdust and shavings (high % shavings) but i'll be sure to dampen it down before using it
      ...also, i agree that variations in thickness create additional unhelpful stresses for the clay to have to cope with
      chris

Comment

raku books

Hello again Kate (Cuckoo's Nest)

Use Amazon.com rather than Amazon.co.uk and you can get to the American stock...i've just checked and the Branfman book is there as a Used-Good copy for $13.90 + $3.99 shipping, also the Ritchie book as a Used copy for $24.95 + shipping
        Although described as Used these are (as described) in good order and once you take them into the studio/workshop you'd never know any different.
        The shipping takes a bit longer but the prices are often significantly lower.
        chris

Comment

I do a fair amount of Raku. There is some information (processes, glazes, kiln building etc) on my website. (www.lockettpots.co.uk) Hope you find some of it useful.

John
          I follow the "Way of the Clay"
          http://www.lockettpots.co.uk

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the details on your website. I'm a big fan of your raku work, and love the bowls.

Hope to hear more from you on here, we have very few potters!

Comment

Thanks so much for your website details. Totally totally inspiring. We are going to have a go at the smoke firing technique.
              Please stay around this forum. As Charlotte says, there seem to be very few potters on it.
              Kate
              www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for your kind words Kate and Charlotte.

If you need any advice over your smoke-firing I'm always ready to help

John

PS Kate. Love your lurcher I bet he would get on great with my two greyhounds (rehomed retired racers)
                Last edited by lockettpots; 30-07-2009, 02:50 PM.
                I follow the "Way of the Clay"
                http://www.lockettpots.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X