air drying clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air drying clay

hi, air drying clay? is that as it says on the tin, dries in the open air? Does it have to have any special area to dry and roughly how long does it take? And could you put air drying clay in the oven?

air drying

Is this about my post...about air drying scented shapes to sell? I got AMACO Mexican Pottery Clay - described on the box as "a red, self-hardening clay in moist form." Er, did i do anything wrong? It says to let it dry for several days, depending on the thickness...to keep away from heat and to rotate so all sides are "up" at some point - for even drying. I have my little hearts on a wire mesh shelf.

Sorry if you were not talking about my post earlier...

Comment

hi cosmicgrannie, no it wasnt about yuour post. Just been looking into differnt clays and that was one i didnt really understand, thanks for the help. Theres just so much to take in .

Comment

when airclay is dried is it best to paint with acrylic paint? Also could you then varnish to make it shiney?

Comment

air clay

This box says use "Rub n Buff," then decorate with tempra, acrylic, liquid crayon (whatever that is) and then shellac, varnish or use their all purpose sealer. I want my hearts to be porous for absorbing essential oils, but I want them to not be fragile - wonder what no "finishing" them will mean?

Essentially, I am trying to make a little scent diffuser. Something one could wear around their neck, or hang from the rearview mirror, or as a drawer sachet.

Comment

yes air drying clay does dry in the air, any room temperature is fine but I wouldnt put it in the oven as it may well crack as the drying process will be too fast. How long it takes depends on how thick the item is.

Once dry it will be slightly smaller and lighter in colour, then you can paint with acrylic paints and varnish with any varnish to make them shiny.

HTH
            Diane
            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

air drying clay

Should I mist the hearts while they dry, so the outside and the inside don't break off from each other?? They're about a half inch thick.

Comment

immerse it in water it will revert to mud!

Most air drying clay is clay with fine nylon fiber mixed into it to give it more strength when dried. Please note that it will always be clay, if you immerse it in water it will revert to mud!
                Your hearts sound fairly small so I would think they will have dried in a couple of hours.

Robin
                www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by toppotter View Post
                  Please note that it will always be clay, if you immerse it in water it will revert to mud!

even when its totally dried?

would painting and glazing stop it reverting to mud?

Comment

It is OK to play with but pretty useless except for ornamental stuff. Quite fragile even when dried.
                    Carol
                    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

air drying clay

Fragile - yes indeedy - I just easily snapped a thinner heart into pieces! Aww, my broken heart....wah....

However, the essential oils are sticking nicely and are not influenced by the earthy smell of the clay! SO I will have only 30 with me tomorrow, because they're the thicker ones - and sell them at $3 apiece. Reckon I'll soak the thinner ones and reshape. The directions say to add a little vinegar to the water...wonder why - to prevent bacteria??

Comment

Why not make them out of clay

With air drying clay you will be relying on the quality and covering of your sealant/varnish to prevent water reentering the dry clay.
                        Why not make them out of clay and get a local potter to fire them for you then you could paint them with acrylics? I you're local to me you can use my part of my kiln.
                        Robin
                        www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

With air drying clay you will be relying on the quality and covering of your sealant/varnish to prevent water reentering the dry clay.
                          Why not make them out of clay and get a local potter to fire them for you then you could paint them with acrylics? I you're local to me you can use my part of my kiln.
                          Robin

Totally agree with this, in my opinion air dry clay is really only good for messing about with and for children in school to make things with, if you are serious about what you are making, and want to sell them, then real clay and firing is the best or if you dont want to do that then try using salt dough which can be cooked and varnished
                          Diane
                          Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

air drying clay

Robin
                            No, not very local - I'm in Texas!

Well, if they were fired or sealed, I would not be able to saturate them with essential oil, right? Or would it work after sealing?

Or if I put the EO on them first and then sealed - would the fragrance still be detectable?

They got lots of attention but I only sold TWO all day. And only five bars of my soap. Once again, I come away in the red...no profit. Sigh.

BUT, my husband was with me for the first time, because I could not deal with my new tent alone, and he got in to it! (The market, not the tent! HA!) He is going to order a banner, and get another table...and has a few other ideas he wants to pursue....so that's a very good thing that came out of today's market!

My tent is an EZ-UP ... NOT!! Well, not for one person, and really not even for two. But all the vendors were helping each other with tents, so it worked out just fine.

Kids loved my little clay hearts, but their parents did not buy them...$3. I had put a piece of recycled paper cord through the holes and they looked very nice....oh well. But I really thought that people would buy them because they were cute and cheap! They come in, they look at my soap and washcloths and soap dishes...they feel guilty about not buying, they see the cheapie little item and buy it...right?? Noooo.....

Comment

Working...
                            X