Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the things you roll into clay called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are the things you roll into clay called?

I am looking for the things you can roll or push into clay to make patterns. Does anyone know what they are called? I looked on ebay but I cant find them in any of the categories.

They range in size from a few mm to a few cm's and are generally also made of clay, but can be plastic or other materials too.

They are just pushed into the clay before firing to make nice patterns. Any ideas? thanks.

Moulds? Just a guess, probably more specific than that?

Helena xx

Comment

Hi,

Thanks, I thought moulds too but when I search those its just big plastic things to actually designs the shapes of your things, like gnomes and animals. Im looking for smaller things you make patterns with.

Comment

Like the old wax seals? Seals, stencils, presses?
        Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

are you thinking of texture plates or sheets?

Unmounted rubber stamps also work well - just remember they you are creating an intaglio effect, so they will not look the same as a stamped image (debossed rather than embossed).
          george
          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
            are you thinking of texture plates or sheets?

Unmounted rubber stamps also work well - just remember they you are creating an intaglio effect, so they will not look the same as a stamped image (debossed rather than embossed).
            so could you use rubber stamps on clay? Whats an intaglio effect?

Comment

That's a good idea mizgeorge. Apart from just using rubber stamps as normal, stampers use them with embossing powders heated up and then pressed into this while it's still hot. Also I've seen Joanna Sheen use rubber stamps on her waxes. And of course you can get such a variety of stamps, from tiny 1" spuare ones, alphabets, up to big background ones. Not sure, is the stamp first patted with ink to stop it from sticking? I think intaglio would be that the image is pushed into the piece rather than like say a cameo which is raised
              Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Originally posted by nettie View Post
                Not sure, is the stamp first patted with ink to stop it from sticking?
                You can use a light dusting of cornflour to stop the stamp/texture plate etc from sticking to the clay.
                Handmade jewellery and accessories using glass, crystals, wire and more!
                www.iridescentdesigns.co.uk

Comment

I think what you are looking for are called stamps or clay stamps.

Hi Spagbog

I think what you are looking for are called stamps or clay stamps. We don't sell them as the simple ones are so easy to make with found objects or with the ends of bits of wooden dowel or carved or modelled from clay.
                  If you want to make multiple stamps say with a found object, take a block of clay, press the found object deeply into clay the required number of times and then fill the impression with fine plaster. Quick easy, cheap and unique!

Hope this helps
                  Robin
                  www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

I think the term is Sprigs or Sprig moulds.

Emma
                    Emma
                    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Sorry, didn't read your fist message properly.

Sorry, didn't read your fist message properly. What your looking for I think is a roulette. Basically a wheel with a pattern in the edge that is mounted on a holder so that it impresses a pattern in clay when rolled along.
                      Again it one of those things that potters hand make, I don,t know of any retailer who sells them in the UK.
                      Robin
                      www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

"Nice patterns" can be achieved by rolling more or less anything into clay!

I made my own mould in plaster out of a big chunk of tree bark, which I now use to press my clay into to create an organic and natural texture.

Lace is a common decorative pattern in clay.

Have a look round your home, you might be surprised at the number of objects you could use!

Comment

lots of the tools for polymer clay, art clay silver and so on can also be used nicely with ceramic clays. Also rubber stamps and so on can work nicely if you can find deeply cut ones.

Emma
                          Emma
                          www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                          www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                          www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                          X