New old kiln!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old kiln!

Well, I had an exciting time with my new secondhand kiln today, which I got after my last secondhand kiln proved to be a disastrous buy! I got the new one from a good local pottery supplier. It's a pretty ancient manual top loader with a kiln sitter. The lady who sold it to me advised the following firing schedule for a biscuit firing - 2 hours on low, 2 hours on medium, and then full power to the finish. I followed this advice and the kiln reached temperature in 7 hours (or at least I assume it did, as the kiln sitter switched off then). This seems pretty quick to me, as I thought a biscuit firing should be at about 100 deg C per hour, so should take at least 10 hours. Does anyone have any advice on manual kiln firing? What temperature rate would low, medium and high be likely to correspond to?

Sorry I can't help with your question but I just wanted to say that I hope you have a long and happy time with your new old kiln, I look forward to seeing what comes out.

Jo x
    Things to make and do
    Things to make and do's Facebook page
    Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

Hi

I have a similar sounding kiln which i bought secondhand. With it i got some hand written notes which are at home just now. I am no expert but i enjoy playing about with it and am still learning. I will try and send my notes later. Hopefully it will give you an idea. They seem to work for me.

Julie

Comment

The kiln firing time using a kiln sitter will depend on how full your kiln is, the fuller the kiln the longer the time. 7 hours sounds ok to me, hopefully another member will be along with some better advice (look out for JeanieO, not on here very often but they used to do slip cast ceramics)

((I'm going to get told off for name dropping now aren't I Dad!!!!!!!!!))
        Diane
        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Hi

Once again i am no expert but here are the instructions i got with my kiln - it seems to work for me

for bisque

low 30 minutes
          1 30 minutes
          2 60 minutes
          2.5 60 minutes
          3 60 minutes
          4 60 minutes
          5 60 minutes
          Hi until it cuts off

Glaze

low 30 minutes
          1 30 minutes
          2 60 minutes
          3 60 minutes
          4 60 minutes
          hi until it cuts off

I hope this helps

Comment

Hope this helps some

Each kiln is different, so if you have a way of reading the temp of your kiln, make yourself a graph and plot temp against time noting when you turn up the power. I go 100c per hour to 600c then full blast to top temp.
            Hope this helps. Get in touch if you need any further advice, regards Robin
            top pot supplies
            www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X