Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic Virgin ... He! He!

I hope the title caught your attention

Since school and my sausage coil pot, I haven't touched anything ceramic (and that was a long time ago) but would really like to explore this area but I don't know where to start.
    I'm a textile artist and had would like to transfer some of my designs onto ceramics such as mugs, plates etc.

Can you buy ready to paint items ? How much would a kiln be etc. I really am clueless so would appreciate any advice or info. I've goggled for courses with the Berkshire N Hampshire areas but haven't had much luck so far.

Thanking you in advance !
    Laurie

www.23beechhill.co.uk

http://23beechhill.blogspot.com

Not too sure where you are in Berkshire but you could try Hobby Ceramicraft I did a course there years ago and they are very good.

Also what about ceramic cafe's. I trained with Duncan ceramics got my teaching certificate etc but decided to sell my kiln about 2 years ago along with all the moulds. The above will advise you re kilns etc and it may be worth going along to have a chat with them.

Good Luck

Comment

Hi Caroline, Oh my lordy, they are literally 10 mins away from me, I have passed it millions of times and didn't realise they did courses. I often see them loading up pallets etc.
      I live really close to Wellington Country Park which is also a stones throw from Hobby Ceramicraft.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll get onto them tomorrow
      Laurie

www.23beechhill.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by 23BeechHill View Post
        I hope the title caught your attention

Since school and my sausage coil pot, I haven't touched anything ceramic (and that was a long time ago) but would really like to explore this area but I don't know where to start.
        I'm a textile artist and had would like to transfer some of my designs onto ceramics such as mugs, plates etc.

Can you buy ready to paint items ? How much would a kiln be etc. I really am clueless so would appreciate any advice or info. I've goggled for courses with the Berkshire N Hampshire areas but haven't had much luck so far.

Thanking you in advance !
        You can send your designs away to be made into ceramic transfers which you then transfer onto your biscuit ware (fired once pieces). (this is a good solution if you want to do a few of the same design. )You can buy mugs/plates etc bisque too so you don't have to make your own.
        I bought a kiln approx 12mths ago and it cost me £1200 but you can pick them up cheaper second hand (ebay) Make sure you really research the sort of kiln you want before taking the plunge and also look at temp control systems. Its a pity you don't live closer as I do at times fire other peoples work.
        The paint a pot /ceramic cafes may be the solution for one off pieces but you will pay for the pleasure. It depends on how long term you see yourself doing this. Please feel free to ask any more questions
        www.RedShedCeramics.etsy.com
        www.folksy.com/shops/RedShed
        www.mosaicshape.co.uk

Comment

Ah, thanks RedShed. I may well be in touch in the near future. Sounds like I have a bit of research to do
          Laurie

www.23beechhill.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X