Lots of questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of questions.

Im starting a pottery class in a couple of weeks so thought this was a good time to ask some questions. Iv used a wheel before and loved it. Its always something iv wanted to do again but the cost has put me off.

I would love to have my own wheel and kiln but im guessing they can be expensive. What is a rough price for them both? Is an electric wheel better than a kick one? What brands are best? Would it be better to start small with a smaller wheel? Would you need your own studio, preferably a large space to work in? I guess doing this in your house is out unless you have a spare outbuilding? Is there any point in doing this as a hobby as it costs so much?

What makes a good finished pot/bowl etc? What are hte basic tools needed? How is the market for selling hand thrown pots? Does anyone here make a living from it?

Told you there were lots of questions lol. There will probably be more
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Wheels: I have a small shimpo electric wheel, but use it very little. Most of my pots are cast or sculpted. Other potters I know say they prefer the controllability of the electric wheel as you can concentrate more on the throwing. Kick wheels are cheaper though. There are plenty of people who think they would like to do pottery as a hobby, then realise there is more to it and stick the whole lot in the local paper for peanuts. Always a good place to start your search for equipment.

Kiln: If you have a small garden, I'd reccommend setting up a "dustbin kiln" they are easy to do, you simply need a steel dustbin with steel lid, make some holes in a row at the base, and pack your dry pots in, topping up with wood shavings or saw dust. Providing the ware is thin walled, this system works a treat for firing, which takes about a 24 hour cycle. Another way is to build a wood-fired up-draught kiln. But now we are talking about much bigger things.

Small, top-loader hobby kilns are cheap, and cheap to run cost wise, and this is important when pricing up what you want. There is no sense in having a huge kiln when all you want to fire in it is half a dozen pots. Most pottery supply firms will give you sound advice without pushing their products. I've always found Potclays (google it) to be the most helpful.

Tools and techniques advice will be provided in your pottery course. I make a reasonable living from ceramics and have done for nearly 30 years now. But I think you need to ask yourself why you want to pot. As a therapy it is wonderful. As a money making adventure - think about doing something else. Certainly, if you plan to make pots purely to bring an income home, then start looking around your area. Ask that important question: If there are no potters selling ware round here, is it because there are no potters? Or is it that there is no demand?

Just trying to give you a balanced view. Please take it as sensible advice, nothing more.
    mmmmm........ BRICKS! (strokes wall).

http://www.ajmugridge.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Dont worry i am under no illusions Im young yet and like to keep my options open. As i say iv always loved pottery but know how expensive it can be to start up, especially if it is just a hobby. This course should be a good place to start.
      Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Sorry, can't answer any of your questions but I just wanted to say that brickmaker certainly seems to know his stuff.
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
        X