Acrylic paints on ceramic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic paints on ceramic?

Let me preface this by saying I have no idea what I'm doing!

So my dad's favourite breakfast bowl broke and since they're not available to buy anymore, I wanted to try painting him a replacement. Paint your own pottery places are obviously not accessible at the moment and I don't have a kiln otherwise available.

I found ceramic paints that bake on in the oven, but they appear to not be tested as food safe, so I would have to only paint the outside and presumably have to find a pre glazed bowl that specifies itself as oven safe? Does the paint harden on completely or is it gentle washing only?

Could I instead, use acrylic paints, since I already have them? I know they aren't necessarily non toxic or food safe, but if the bowl is a standard, food safe glazed piece from the local shop, the acrylics shouldn't seep into the bowl right? Would they dry in place enough for me to cover the entirety with a food safe epoxy resin such as ArtResin? And that would seal in the acrylics from the top so as to not cause any seepage from any point? And I could then paint the inside of the bowl as well?
    is there any other sort of food safe sealant I could use?

You can probably tell I'm a bit confused by the whole thing. Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum. It does sound as though you have quite a puzzle to solve there and unfortunately I'm not able to help as that kind of thing is well outside my sphere of knowledge.
    We're not the busiest forum for posts but I think we have a couple of long standing and talented members who visit without posting unless they have some specific advice to offer, so you may be lucky. Of the regular posting members most of them (except me) are very knowlegeable in many crafts and will happily offer advice if they can. Good luck.

Linda

Comment

Would it not be easier to mend the broken bowl with food safe glue? That would be my first try. Or find something similar and make it his new favorite bowl.

Life moves on things change, bowls break, replacements become the new favorite

Shelley

Comment

Hi, for my first ceramic project I was unsure what to use to have more control for details so I thought something similar to a pen would be really helpful. So I Googled ceramic pens and of course I ended up buying off Amazon to get something in time. After I read reviews for the product I ordered the one below and I was quite happy with the result.
        https://amzn.to/2VsQeJK
        I hope this helps!

Comment

Hi, for my first ceramic project I was unsure what to use to have more control for details so I thought something similar to a pen would be really helpful.
          Pens do seem like the way to go for the finer details, although i would still need a base coat and I couldn't find products (either pens or paint) that specified as food safe. I could leave the inside unpainted of course and assuming the pens worked as advertised and baked on well, that would be fine since nobody eats from the outside of the bowl. But my main concern was finding a bowl that i could put in the oven. Dishwasher safe is easy to find, but i've been struggling to find a normal looking bowl that is specified as oven safe. I don't want to do all that work and then have it crack!

Would it not be easier to mend the broken bowl with food safe glue? That would be my first try. Or find something similar and make it his new favorite bowl.
          That would certainly be easier. Unfortunately, the bowl is both unsalvageable and long gone. It was well smashed! And finding something even a little similar is basically impossible. Believe me, i've tried! If only it were your basic floral design or something 😔

It's okay, it's not like he's crying in a corner over this, I just thought it would be a nice idea, if i could find a way to do it. Thanks for the input everyone!

Comment

Is there something like an artisan potter in the area that can make you a bowl to the spec you need, could probably help you out with decorating it too and advising in its suitability for putting in ovens etc?

Dave.

Comment

You can use Trandpter paint pens. The ink is non-toxic, which I consider an imperative feature if I want to use these pens with kids or young students. In this way, I can feel at ease, knowing that I can have fun doodling and working on various creative crafts without worrying about toxic components.
              Last edited by richmanmimi; 02-10-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X