Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the Top

Hello everyone,

There is nothing like aiming high, so I am hoping to make a new finial to match the others on my Victorian roof.

I have a good deal of patience and am retired so can spend a disproportional amount of time on it if necessary, but need all the advice I can get, as clay is a material I am not familiar with.

I would like to use similar terracotta clay and am sure I can find someone to fire it for me once I have shaped it. I attach a photo – it is substantially hollow and measures about 4.5” diameter and 6.5” high.

The first question is what is the best clay to use and where to get it, closely followed by how best to copy the shape.

It looks like it would be easier to make the pedestal and set the ball shape into it, but again I am looking for guidance as to what I can and can't do with clay.
    The original is probably buried somewhere in the garden - but no sign of it in 4 years.

Pete

Image 1807.jpg

I have to say this is ambitious and maybe not possible at an amateur level. Firing large lumps of clay is fraught with all kinds of problems.

As you have plenty of time I would say your time might be better spent wandering through architectural reclamation yards for another. It probably has a name and you could even search online.

Lots here for example https://www.google.com/search?q=clay...h=718&biw=1308

Good luck.

Shelley

Comment

Hi Shelley, Thanks for your response and you are probably right, but I have the bit between my teeth now and keen to have a go. If it were metal, wood or stone I could make it, but clay is a new material for me - I just need to get acquainted with it and don't have much to lose by trying. But it sounds like I will need to do some homework on the subject.

Comment

Pete,
        Theoretically, a basic terracotta would do this. Having said that, you need to fire your clay. Most potters will have a set temperature that they fire to, and your clay has to match that.
        Terracotta vitrifies around 1100 (check with the people you buy it from). If you under fire it, it won't stand up to weathering it's going to get on top of your roof; if you over fire it, it will melt!

So my first step would be to find your local potters and find out what clays and temperatures they work with.
        You might find that they only work with stoneware, which is usually white/off-white rather then the red you wanted.

As for making it, yes, make base & ball separately. Google about how to join the two parts by scoring and slipping.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi Simon, Thanks for the advice - Yes I will check out potters that might be able to fire it before getting the clay. They might also have recommendations on a supplier for the clay.
          Pete

Comment

At a closer look, this was formed in two halves, the seam is clearly visible on the inside. Fortunately, I have found a local potter that has some experience of joining and firing Terracotta, she is also happy to help make one of these. So next job is for me to make a mould.
            Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Homework is paying off, and a useful bit of info for anyone looking to make weatherproof clayware - I found an article on The Ceramics Arts Network titled Freeze Thaw Myth. It is very interesting and has been a great help in identifying a suitable clay which has that characteristic when fired. Press moulds are made and ready, just need the right clay to make it a successful as well as interesting little project.

Comment

Well done for persevering, you will have to keep us informed on your progress.

Shelley

Comment

Working...
                X