Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling through ceramics/china/porcelain

Hi there.

I wondered if anyone had any tips for how to drill a hole through china/porcelain/ceramic plates?

Thanks very much,
    Jill

if its anything like tiles cant you put a piece of masking tape in a cross and drill that way but other than tha ti cant help you i have trouble making a hole in a wall to hang things im banned from using electrical tools as i once drilled a hole to hang a shelf and went through to the airing cupboard missed a pipe by millimeters
    Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

dont quote me on this !!!!
      but i think i heard somewhere you have to put a cross of tape on both sides of the hole and drill into the centre of it !
      i dont even know where i read it now
      lol i aint much use really lol
      Thanks
      Heidi x x x

Comment

we posted at the same time !!!!
        looks like i aint so mad after all
        Thanks
        Heidi x x x

Comment

Depends how big a hole you want really? Diamond coated drill bits are really cheap.....don't use carbide ones. For small holes I use a handheld drill. I put a piece of masking tape on the piece i'm drilling to mark it and to keep the drill bit steady. If you can (and if the drill is cordless) try drill in a shallow plastic dish to keep the drill bit cool. At the very least have a bottle of water handy to poor over it to do the same. Make sure you have the drill at a high rpm setting otherwise it's just blunt the drill bit too.
          If the hole you want is quite bit try using a diamond core drill bit. It's cut a circle from the piece but it's clean...you can get them from about 5mm wide.
          Hope that helps
          Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
          Dichroic Glass Tutorials
          Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

That's really helpful, thanks very much!

Jill

Comment

Working...
            X