Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about polymer clay for a soap dish

Hello!

I'd like to make a soap dish, and as I don't have access to a kiln or anything like that, I was thinking of using Fimo (or another polymer clay), as I've read that it's waterproof. However, I have some questions about Fimo, and I'd be really grateful if someone more experienced could be kind enough to give me some answers!

1. I'd like to make sure my soap dish is EXTRA waterproof, and read that you can use waterproof sealers to make it even more waterproof – but I also want to varnish my soap dish too to make it glossy. Should I use the waterproof sealer before the varnish, or should I varnish it and then use the sealer?

2. What kind of paint works best on Fimo? I've read acrylic is good.

3. Should I bake it first, then paint, seal, and varnish it? Is there anything I should do before I bake it? Is it better to paint, then bake?

4. Does anyone know whether it would be safe to use polymer clay to make a soap dish? I've read that you should never use polymer clay to make eating utensils with, because you'll never be sure you can get them completely clean – but this is just a dish to hold soap, plus I'm making it totally waterproof, so that should be fine, right?

Thanks so much to everyone who's taken the time to read this. Any answers appreciated!

Hi

I don't know anything about polymer but please don't forget to put a hole in the dish - to prevent the soap from sitting in water and going mushy.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
      Hi

I don't know anything about polymer but please don't forget to put a hole in the dish - to prevent the soap from sitting in water and going mushy.

Jane
      Thank you -- I have a design all mapped out, which should make sure the soap never gets mushy again!

Comment

Working...
      X