Which polymer clay bakes to the hardest finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which polymer clay bakes to the hardest finish

I have began to use polymer clay to make turning blanks for making pens but I find the finish is a bit softer than I would like for machining .... Will changing from Fimo to another brand make a difference? or is there a way to make the finished clay harder?

What brand did you use? Fimo does a really good gloss varnish that make things super hard and stong, you could try that.

I've found big differences in the malleability of the uncooked clay, but havent paid much attention to the finished product so I'm not sure! I do know it's a lot softer right out of the oven and it's best to let it stand for a while and it will harden up.
    Coryographies on Etsy (bookshelf, tea, and sushi jewellery)
    Coryographies' Blog (Join the free giveaway!)
    Coryographies on Facebook
    Twitter: @Coryographies
    If you'd like to swap shop banners to advertise on each others' sites please message me

Comment

I use fimo effect mainly but i find it still too soft after its been baked

Comment

Try sculpey or super sculpey. I drill out and carve mine quite a bit (super sculpey) with only a few issues with crumbling and or softness (due to age and mixing). Not sure how it would work on a lathe etc. Do you specifically use the clay for the colours or would you look at dipping or painting a finished blank?
        Check out my stuff on:
        Etsy and Folksy

Comment

I haven't been using PC for a short time now, I started using it to get specific patterns into my pens, I make most of my pens with polyester resin and mica powder

Comment

I'd try Fimo Classic - a lot stronger than Fimo Soft. You might also like to try Cernit, which is tough as old boots after baking.

Sculpey tends to be quite brittle after baking and not particularly strong. It might be however that the brittleness works better for what you are doing. I don't know.

Generally speaking though, Fimo Soft is not that strong, nor is Sculpey 3, or even Premo Sculpey these days. Stronger clays are Fimo Classic, Kato, Cernit.

Also, making sure you get the right baking temp is REALLY important. Most ovens are very innaccurate so you need to calibrate with an oven thermometer to make sure you are hitting the right temp. If you underbake the clay by even 5 or 10 degrees, it can seriously affect the overall strength.
            Emma
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
            www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

I think i'll try the cernit clays next they seem to have a great selection of colours

Comment

They certainly do! If you end up buying any from me, be sure to ask me in the comments section at checkout for a Cernit colour chart and I'll add it.

Emma
                Emma

Comment

Forgot to ask for the colour chart ... i'll get it next time .... will be using your site again at those prices ... even without the discount your offering at the moment your prices are great

Comment

Originally posted by Chilprufe View Post
                    Forgot to ask for the colour chart ... i'll get it next time .... will be using your site again at those prices ... even without the discount your offering at the moment your prices are great
                    Oh thank you! Just worked out who you are from my orders - I have a feeling I did include a colour chart with your order anyway. Hopefully so

Emma
                    Emma

Comment

Yes you did ... my order arrived this morning with the colour chart ... many many thanks for the great service ... its a rare thing now

Comment

You're very welcome! Thanks for the kind feedback
                        Emma

Comment

Working...
                        X