Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polymer clay cracking

Hi all.

I use polymer clay a lot but still find this basic problem crops up.

I work in layers and sections, baking a piece before adding to it. Sometimes the clay cracks.

Is there any way to prevent this happening or do I stick to my tried and tested method of sealing the affected area with bake and bond.
    Check out my stuff on:
    Etsy and Folksy

What clay are you using and do you use an oven thermometer to ensure you are not overbaking? The most common cause of clay cracking is over heating it.

But if you are working in layers and adding an unbaked layer to an already baked one, it could be that the two clays are expanding / contracting at different times and pulling and pushing against each other.

Try putting the item into a cold oven and bringing it up to temperature more slowly. I've had some luck doing that - by first bringing the clay up to around 60 degrees, letting it sit there for 5 mins or so and then eeking it up higher to the full baking temp.
    Emma
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

I'm using super sculpey, by and large.

I do tend to keep the oven lower than advised, when building up layers. I'll try gradually adjusting the temperature and may have to invest in a thermometer too.
      Check out my stuff on:
      Etsy and Folksy

Comment

Working...
      X