Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ejralph
    replied
    The word you are looking for is "antiquing" and you are absolutely right about using paint and then removing it from the high areas.

You can remove it by wiping it away before baking or sanding it away after baking. Each method has its merits.

If you use an acrylic product, do check you use one that is known to be compatible with polymer clay because some paints just won't dry correctly. Alcohol inks such as Adirondack are great for antiquing the clay - use these after baking because they don't dry brilliantly on unbaked clay.

You can also use things like mica pigment powders - brushed over the clay and then removed a little from the high areas. This gives a really nice distressed effect.

Leave a comment:

• Erin T
    started a topic Tarnishing effect on fimo?

Tarnishing effect on fimo?

Stupid, stupid phone made me re-register

I'm thinking of trying something with Fimo metallic silver, but I thought it might look more 'realistic' (I know it won't feel it!) with some black tarnishing effect - I can't remember if it has a proper name! You know what I mean though? Darkening in the crevices

Is there a tried and tested way of doing this? Can't find any hints online (but then not remembering the word doesn't help). I'm thinking that I could wash it with ink or black acrylic paint and then rub off the top surfaces - what do you think? Course then I'd have to seal it, else it'll wash off in the rain

Anyone done this before? Or have any thoughts on other methods?
Working...
X