Am I fussing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I fussing?

As nobody has replied to my thread about oven thermometers does that mean I probably don't need to check temperatures? I am only asking as my new oven is a different make and it is a fan assisted one unlike my previous one. Or am I being over fussy?

Anita
    www.raw-elements.co.uk

Sorry - I don't have an answer but did not want you to feel unloved
    Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you Roslet, I really appreciate your response.

Have a nice day!

Anita
      www.raw-elements.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Raw-elements View Post
        Recomendation needed!

Hi

Can anyone recommend a really accurate oven thermometer? There are several on the market and I have heard that some are better than others. A price indication would be useful too. I am getting a new oven Friday and would like to check the temperature before firing new work.

Thanks in advance

Anita

Anita
        Hi Anita, I've never used an oven thermometer so I can't help you on that score, have you tried out your oven yet or do you still need advice/recommendation??

Jan
        My Blog http://handcraftedbypicto.blogspot.com/
        My Facebook http://www.facebook.com/HandcraftedbyPicto
        My Folksyhttp://www.folksy.com/shops/HandcraftedbyPicto
        My Wow Thank Youhttp://www.wowthankyou.co.uk/handcrafted-by-picto

Comment

Hi

I don't get my oven till Friday so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anita
          www.raw-elements.co.uk

Comment

I have never used an oven thermometer and I also have a fan-assisted oven. I just adhere to the baking instructions on the brand of clay I use and I have never had a problem so I'm sure you will be fine. I don't think a few degrees here or there would make a massive difference anyway. Except don't do what I did once and accidently flip the temperature dial to 220 degrees celsius or you will end up with lots of charcoal and a nasty smelling kitchen!
            Jayne
            http://www.folksy.com/shops/Jaykay

Comment

Sorry if I missed your original post !

Personally I always advise an oven thermometer - because the thermostats in overs can be very inaccurate and temperature is quite important in baking polymer clay correctly (more so that it used to be, because the newer formulations seem to be a little more fussy on this score)

If you underbake the clay, it just won't be as strong as it could be. If you overbake it, it might develop cracks, singe or even in extreme circumstances burn to release toxic fumes.

Much depends on how fussy you are of course and the types of projects you are doing. I might have quite a few beads baking in the oven at one time, and when its stock for sale, you can bet I use an oven thermometer and check it every 5 mins! lol

Emma
              Emma
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
              www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

I would agree. I didn't realise until I did use a thermometer how inaccurate my oven was! So I always use one but I don't use the fan. Then monitor it - my oven fluctuated quite badly (though mainly when the fan was on).
                Bev
                Tamar Leather Hand tooled leather gifts that last a lifetime

Also find me on Facebook & Folksy

Comment

This is the reason I don't use small tabletop ovens, as I just haven't yet found one that doesn't spike and dip wildly.

Also lots depends on the clay you are using, the technique and sometimes even particular colours. It just happens that lots of the claywork I do is particularly fussy to heat also.

But it is amazing what using a thermometer reveals about your baking process and the ovens you are using.

Emma
                  Emma

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have a question Emma, what type of Thermometer do you use and is it only spe******t cook shops that sell them?

Thanks again

Anita
                    www.raw-elements.co.uk

Comment

Don't understand why spe******t was *ed. I wasn't swearing?????
                      www.raw-elements.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Raw-elements View Post
                        Don't understand why spe******t was *ed. I wasn't swearing?????
                        The forum doesn't like that word, it's got a mind of its own! LOL

I agree about oven thermometer. I've got a new fan oven and it bakes quicker than the old one!!! I think the old one was very old and ended up with just remembering one temp setting!
                        Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

The letters inside that word also form the name of a well known medication that is often touted for sale online

So, it's probably filtered to prevent spam.
                          Emma

Comment

Hi Anita

The type of thermometer to use is like the one on Emma's site (Link). Unfortunately it looks like she is sold out at the moment but if you PM her she will let you know when she is having some more in. Otherwise you should be able to pick one up at cook shops.

Mick
                            Julie & Mick

Portraits in pastels by Julie http://www.juliepilcher.co.uk

Comment

Thank you everyone. The cooker was delivered Friday and went back with the delivery men due to a wiring problem. With further investigation we just need to change a fuse so just reordered the same cooker. It has been a very annoying week what with microwaved food and a lot of polymer now to bake for a fast approaching deadline. I do appreciate people taking the time to answer my queries and when cooker is installed I shall be checking it with a thermometer. I'll let you know my findings.
                              Thanks

Anita
                              www.raw-elements.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X