what glue can i use to attach to baked polymer clay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what glue can i use to attach to baked polymer clay

Hi all hope someone can help. I want to glue a clear plastic design onto baked Clay and I don't know A what glue to use with fimo and sculpey and B what glue would dry clear so as to not have it show through the clear parts (hope that makes sense to someone)
    Thanks in advance
    Gemma

It makes sense Gemma, but so much depends on the design and the application.

In otherwords, how much glue you would need to use to do the job and what sort of strains and stresses the project needs to withstand.

A piece of jewellery for example would get lots more abuse than a wall-hanging.

You can use 2 part epoxy glue or superglue. Both of which dry clear-ish. For strength and flexibility, the epoxy is better. If you just need some random dots of strong glue and the project wouldn't be subjected to too much flexing and handling, a dab of superglue might be your friend.
    Emma
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Hi Emma
      Thanks for that help . It would be to have a flat piece of Clay with the plastic embelishment stuck on it to be used as a magnet. The item is really clear (I can't attach a pic from my phone) and I wouldn't want anything to show through it. Is there anything else I could use or do instead of glue?

Comment

Do you have a photo of the parts you are trying to attach together? It would really help.

Is there anyway you could wire-wrap them together, wire wrapping can be quite decorative and will hold the peices together.

Is the plastic embellishment something that would withstand the baking process. Is is shaped in such a way you could attach it and then form a clay bezel around the bottom to hold it in place on the base of the clay?

Emma
        Emma

Comment

I love a glue called Diamond glaze, it's about £5 a bottle if I remember correctly and although it takes a long time to dry it dries like a clear resin. 2 part epoxy is good too but I often find it has a yellow tint to it so you'd have to be careful to find a clear one. Your best bet is to buy a bunch of different glues and experiment. You might get on better with certain types and not necessarily what's recommended.

Comment

my phone isn't letting me upload a pic as I cannot shrink the size of it. It is basically a flat piece of Clay and a flat plastic embelishment. I don't know if being plastic the embelishment will withstand the heat, I may be wrong though . If it is likely to, would pushing it into the Clay hold it to be strong enough to become a magnet (or anything for that matter). I wouldn't be able to wire wrap as everything is flat, and it would alter the desired effect. Xx

Comment

You would need to know what type of plastic it is before allowing it into contact with the unbaked clay.

Any plastic that is PVC based, which many rigid plastics are, would react with the plasticisers in the clay and make the plastic go crackly and cloudy or just gooey and sticky! Acrylic type plastics are usually fine.

The same applies to glues - not sure what Diamond Glaze is and if it works for polymer clay or not. But the reason certain types of glue are recommended is that they are known to be chemically compatible with the clay.

Some products will react adversely with clay. It certainly IS a great idea to experiment and try new things, just be aware that some products might appear to dry or to work, but the problems show up later. So keep that in mind and don't use anything too untried and tested on polymer clay when doing a special or important project. Better to do test pieces first and be sure it all works.
              Emma

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X