Texturing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texturing?

I made some fab little beads using a rubber stamp today but I was wondering, besides stamps, what else you guys used for texturing, any unusual tools?

I enjoy using the stamps but find them expensive so would like to come up with household things that give good texture but my mind is a blank...any tips?
    Handmade Ceramic Beads & Jewellery
    Grubbi On Etsy
    ~ Facebook ~ Artisan Whimsy

my favourite texture item is a peach stone. it is so random and organic.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Makins do some great texture sheets that are really economical.

I also love to use organic things - leaves, acorns and other seeds, sandpaper. Some old victorian textured glass (this is used very carefully though and I push the clay onto the textured glass rather than the other way around, because on the whole I am not a fan of using any glass tools for safety reasons)

I know some clayers use the texture sheets for embossing machines. I don't find them deeply cut enough for me though.

Texture is everywhere when you start to look. You can roll out sheets of scrap polymer clay and push it into textures then bake to make your own texture sheets. Which is handy if you find a cool texture on something that you cannot steal away and put in your studio!

Lace and other fabrics are fun. String and braids too

Old coins and buttons make fantastic moulds or can be used to directly texture the clay.

There are loads of things you can use. Many of them won't cost a penny either. Or just use a penny!
      Emma
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
      www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

I have some of the makins sheets, and some stamps and just got a lovely one today which is kinda beachy. What I'm having trouble with is texturing the beads whilst shaped. I mean if I've got rounds or lentils how do you texture them properly without them going mishapen?
        Handmade Ceramic Beads & Jewellery
        Grubbi On Etsy
        ~ Facebook ~ Artisan Whimsy

Comment

Early learning usually have texture plates for the kids to use for 'bark rubbings' type things. They could be good too.
          Elin
          xx
          Come and say hello at:
          My blog - Elin's Cards
          My website - Cards by Elin
          My facebook page.

Comment

The Fiskars texture plates are really good and quite inexpensive.

The home of Paper Applique, a brand new card making technique.
            Watch the video and visit the gallery.

Comment

With the texture sheets, you do need to make sure they are made from a plastic compatible with polymer clay. The plasticizers in it will "eat" other plastics very quickly!

Emma
              Emma
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
              www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Working...
              X