Gold leaf and sanding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold leaf and sanding?

I've made some beads with a layer of crackled gold leaf on the surface, they've been baked and the leaf seems pretty fixed into place but can I sand the surface of the beads or will the leaf come off? I can see some fingerprints n stuff I would like to take off but am worrying about taking the leaf off with them.
    Handmade Ceramic Beads & Jewellery
    Grubbi On Etsy
    ~ Facebook ~ Artisan Whimsy

No, you will just sand away the leaf if you try to sand off the fingerprints unfortunately.

Maybe after some varnish, the fingerprints won't be so noticable though?
    Emma
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

That's a pity but at least I didn't try it to find out, lol. I'll try the varnish and see how I go, thanks Emma! x
      Grubbi On Etsy

Comment

You can't sand anything with a surface decoration, like glitter, perfect pearls, foils etc.

BUT... you can use this fact to your advantage sometimes. You can create a textured surface and then decorated it - either paint it, glitter it or carefully push down a sheet of foil onto it (using a large soft brush to push the foil into all the texture).

When baked, sand the surface lightly to remove the decoration from the high areas leaving the foil or whatnot only in the recesses. Looks really cool.

YOu can do much the same if you just use two really thin layers of different coloured clays. The sample beads I made for the Cernit Glamour colours show this effect. When baked, the surface was sanded back to reveal the underneath clay colour
        eg:
        (sorry don't have a better photo of the beads than this right now)
        Emma

Comment

Ooo I like that idea, love those beads!

I found a kinda work around for the foil issue. If you apply an verrry thin layer of translucent clay OR liquid polymer over the cured bead with leaf then bake again to cure the liquid polymer or translucent layer then you can sand and get quite a good finish without disrupting the leaf.

Am gonna try that two tone look though, love that!
          Grubbi On Etsy

Comment

Yup - layering with a translucent clay (solid or liquid) can also work well. You just need to be sure there is some "clay on clay action" going on ;-) , else the top layer can de-laminate from the bottom over time.

Usually, so long as the foil is crackled and some of the base clay showing through, it isn't a problem.

Emma
            Emma

Comment

Working...
            X