Fimo help please!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fimo help please!!!!

have been making cake toppers for family and friends! but am confused as to how i get the people into differnet positions etc! for example arms in the air...it always goes floppy am i supposed to be wrapping it around wire or something or do i rest it on something in the over!!!! help please!!!! thank u!

There are many different ways to manage it. You can bake in stages, eg. cook the torso and then add the arms and cok so that arms can be added at an angle. Aleternativly support them with card board or cocktail stick supports.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

have tried this before however the cocktail sticks and other objects always leave marks in it?? and i do bake in stages and they are great just not the positions! begining to stress me out!!! lol

Comment

does anybody else do it differently? thanks for your help going to give it another try tonite but u all make it look so easy surely im missing something obvious!!

Comment

I am no expert on modelling at all, but I know that many clayers do create a wire armature for their sculptures so you might be best to try this on limbs that need to be angled etc?

Maybe try creating a wire skeleton for your model first and build the clay onto that? i am sure it will take some trial and error, but could be worth trying?
          Emma
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
          www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

yeh thanks! so do u use polymer clay then any tips hints would be great want to make vehicles just so hard and fiddly and so expensive to get wrong!!! lol

Comment

Yes - I have used polymer clay for many years now (also wrote a couple of books on the subject and sell supplies/tools for claying too). However - my area is very much decorative techniques and beads/jewellery. I am no expert on modelling which is a whole universe in itself.

Generally speaking though, you will need to create some type of armature to cover with the clay. Aluminium foil works well. You can scrunch it up firmly and form into the rough shape of your model and then cover with clay and bake it.

It sometimes works well to cover the armature with a layer of scrap clay first, just to get the right rough shape and bake that. Then you can go over the firm, baked rough and add more clay and get the details and decoration right.

I hope that helps

Emma
              Emma
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
              www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Hi there. I am completely useless at Fimo and Emma is fab, but you should also search for Ko-dag as she makes wedding cake toppers in Fimo and has the most amazing ones. She is on page two at the moment of me writing this, but if you search for her, you will find her.

Good luck.

http://eiledon.co.uk
                http://eiledon.co.uk

http://eiledonworkingfromhome.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi, I make figures from fimo, and always use a wire armature.
                  I wrap with kitchen foil and squash it tightly into the rough shape I want, Then wrap in masking tape or florist tape before I apply the Clay. I bake on a bed of Corn flour that keeps the clay in shape.
                  Hope this helps you. xxx

Folksy shop http://www.folksy.com/shops/Fairyweb

Comment

aaaahhh masking tape! tried with wire before and then foil then clay and was awful!! thats a very good idea! however what wire do u use, am a complete virgin to crafty things, since my children and boy things change in 7 years!lol thats very helpful tho thank u! also looking for double walled boxes on wholesale, any ideas? thank u x

Comment

I use florist wire for arms but a stronger Gardening wire for the body and legs for strength. I find the easier to bend florist wire helps with the pose of arms and hands.
                      Boxes are a nightmare. So expensive. I am lucky to get some from a relative who works on a Delicatessen. All my friends and family save boxes for me too.
                      I would love some smart pretty boxes but some cost more than I charge for the sculpt grrrrr!!! If you find any please let me know hehe!! xxx

Comment

what so u get double walled ones for free! how do u pack them am soooooooooooooo nervous about sending in the post turned loads down because of this! im hunting on ebay! florist wire is that expensive then? ur faireys are just so amazing! just commented on edward on ur facebook page! am amazed at your talent! u should be selling them alot more cost than u are!! how long does one take u to make! also how do u attach the lace etc to fimo i want to incorporate it in wedding dresses!! my name is hannah by the way! thank u for your help!xxx

Comment

I got a large roll of Gardening wire for £1.99 in Wilco. Florist wire is not expensive either.
                          I wrap each limb well in bubble wrap, then lots around the figure. Lay on abed of bubble wrap and pack all around to hold it firmly.
                          Write in RED felt pen FRAGILE all over parcel, Then it wont go through rollers at Post Office depot.
                          I only post in EU because not sure of procedure elsewhere. Heard it can be quite complicated.
                          I glue the lace hair etc to the baked clay.
                          One tip is to blush the cheeks elbows, any darker area of skin with your own blusher before you bake. Its a lot more subtle than paint.
                          White pearl eye shadow could be useful for your brides dresses too.
                          Thanks for the kind comments Hannah.
                          Glad to be of help

Comment

i may buy some cheap blusher, as mine is esta lauder and expensive!! lol! thats a great tip thanks, however going thro what u said earlier, what do u mean u bake them on a bed of cornflour? what glue do u use? and thanks for all the help!x

Comment

I just sprinkle a pile of corn flour on a baking tray, ceramic tile, whatever you use. plop the sculpt on top to hold it up and prevent the area laid on the tray from going flat. Really tiny parts I bake on some blue tack, which holds it still. eg, I make eyes on the head of sewing pins.
                              Sick the blue tack on tile, then stick the pins into the blue tack to bake safely.
                              Yea you can get a pallet of cheap eye shadows that will have terracotta and pinks in it and kill two birds with one stone eh? LOL!!
                              Let me know how you get on.
                              Remember practice makes perfect. xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X