Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please

Hi

I am having terrible trouble with ploymer clay sticking to my rolling pin (its a plastic one). I think I read somewhere that you can use cornflour on the rolling pin to stop it from sticking. Has anyone tried this?

Also what can I use to sick two pieces of clay together, or do you simply mould them together. I want to make a round flat disc and then add a strip of clay around the edge (so it is raised) and then bake it, so I end up with a disc with a raised edge so I can grout in some mosaic tiles to make a pendant.

Thankyou
    Julie

www.jgcrafts.co.uk

http://folksy.com/users/jgcrafts

Hi Julie

What type of plastic is your rolling pin made from?

Some plastics will react chemically with polymer clay - so if it is the wrong type of plastic, this could be part of the problem and the polymer clay could actually be making the surface of the rolling pin go slightly soft, grabbing the clay.

Ideally you need to use an acrylic hand roller with polymer clay for hand rolling - or go it large and get yourself a pasta machine!.

Even so - they do also stick sometimes - some polymer clays can be stickier than others, sometimes even certain colours within the same brand will be stickier.

You can use cornflour or talcum powder to stop the sticking - but it isn't an ideal move really. You cannot just shake it on liberally as though you were rolling out pastry for example.

It is better to find out why the clay is sticking and address that.

Possibly it is the wrong type of rolling pin as I mentioned. Maybe the clay is just very sticky - in which case you could try working the clay cooler (sticky clay gets even stickier if it is quite warm, so popping it in the fridge might help). You can also do something called "leeching" which removes some of the plasticizers from the clay and this can make it less sticky. I am sure if you search this forum or google for "leeching polymer clay" you will get lots of hits. I think I have explained here before how it is done too.

As for sticking clay together - you don't need anything if the clay pieces are both unbaked. Just smoosh them together and the stronger you push them together, the stronger the bond. YOu can however also use liquid clays like Fimo Deko Gel to aid the adhesion. This only strengthens after baking - it won't hold the clay pieces together like a glue before baking though, so sometimes it is unsuitable as the pieces of clay just slide off / away from each other. You would need to find a way to hold them in place.

In the case of what you need to do, I would say just pushing the clay together firmly will probably be enough though.

Hope that helps,
    Emma
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

I had the same problem when using an acrylic roller, so annoying! Cornflour helped but I found it stuck more when I had overworked it. I agree with Emma regarding the pasta machine. If polymer is something you plan to do on a regular basis then it's definately worth the investment, not had a sticking problem since and it's sooo much easier.
      Handmade Ceramic Beads & Jewellery
      Grubbi On Etsy
      ~ Facebook ~ Artisan Whimsy

Comment

Some of the clays are really sticky now I find - takes a little more patience working with them for sure! I have been using a lot of Cernit transparents lately, man is that the stickiest clay on the planet or what? Worth the effort though.

If you are rolling a lot of sheets out, pasta machines are really worth their weight in gold. Although the acrylic roller can be used where the pasta machine can't - so it still has its plusses. Smoothing the sides of square canes when you reduce them, smoothing clay on curved surfaces etc.

You can also mist the clay sheet with a little water - just use a fine water misting bottle like these. That can also help to stop the clay sticking and just let the water evaporate before using the sheet. This is especially useful if you are using translucent clays as using cornstarch or talc can make them go a bit cloudy.

Emma
        Emma
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
        www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

You might be able to get a pasta maker for free - I posted as my status on facebook that I was after a pasta maker. Quite a few of my friends had them lurking in their kitchens and I was offered two free within a day! Definately worth doing and the effect on the clay is outstanding.

Comment

sometimes I put a bit of plain paper in between, seems to help I find some of the Fimo colours very sticky these days
            Emily

Hand Carved Rubber Stamps by Skull and Cross Buns
            Etsy Folksy Twitter Facebook

Comment

I agree with amelissa
              Emily Katherine Designs
              Designer Handcrafted Beaded Jewelry
              http://www.emilykatherine.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...