Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Extruder for Polymer and PMC

Hi,

I'm planning on taking a plunge into polymer clay jewellery and I have yet to have a good read through all the posts on 'where to start' - but I will get around to that.

In the meantime, I keep coming across clay extruders in posts and having done a little research it dawned on me that it could be used for PMC as well as polymer clay.

My question is - is it better to get the higher spec one, which I believe has an inner for putting water. I think the idea is the warmth of the water would keep the clay softer and in the case of PMC stop it from drying out.

Can somebody please advise. The higher spec one is about £15 more. It is a lot, but as I intend to use it for PMC, maybe its worth it?

I guess, I can use the same extruder for both.
    Charters
    http://charterscharm.blogspot.com/last updated 28th Mar '11

Hi Charters.

I don't recall reading about one which you can put water in, but I remember reading on a web site advice stating that the most expensive (stainless steel?) one was best if intending to use it for PMC. Apparently it was a little stronger than the aluminium one & better suited for the slightly harder task of extruding PMC. It would also be suitable for polymer clay, I think, with a good clean out when switching from one to the other!

I'm sure somebody with more knowledge/experience will be along to give a definitive answer.
    Bev
    Tamar Leather Hand tooled leather gifts that last a lifetime

Also find me on Facebook & Folksy

Comment

The main reason there is a different extruder for PMC is that the regular makins ones are made from aluminium. And apparently mixing aluminimum and metal clays is bad and can cause problems with the finished look of the fired metal clay.

That said, I know of plenty people who do use their regular aluminimum extruders for metal clays without any apparently problems. This article has more info on the subject - http://www.medacreations.com/Aluminu...amination.aspx

However, there are still cheaper alternatives than the very expensive extruders designed for metal clays. You could simply coat all the metal parts in the cheaper extruder with varnish say. Or use one of the plastic sugar craft extruders instead.

The other alledged advantage to the metal clay extruders is that they have a smaller barrel - although again I am not sure why a barrel being smaller is really any great advantage.

It is another one of those situations where you just have to weigh up the different factors in your own particular situation to make the choice. For example, how much you would be using metal clays as opposed to polymer clays, how big an issue you think the aluminium contamination would actually be? etc etc

For someone making lots and lots of precious metal clay jewellery and selling it - then yes, the bespoke extruder for metal clay would be the way to go. For someone only dabbling in metal clay but doing a lot of polymer clay work, the other extruder would probably be best.

Emma
      Emma
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
      www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Thank you for advice. Think I'll start with the makins professional as I'm hoping to do a lot of polymer clay jewellery, and the occasional pmc.
        Charters
        http://charterscharm.blogspot.com/last updated 28th Mar '11

Comment

Working...
        X