Drilling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling?

I've commited the sin of forgetting to put a hole in my pendant before baking. I've got a dremel but not sure which bit I need to buy/use to drill a hole through the clay. Is there a specific attachment to use that does the best job?

Thanks
    Handmade Ceramic Beads & Jewellery
    Grubbi On Etsy
    ~ Facebook ~ Artisan Whimsy

Got a dremil too and no idea how to use it hope it will get more use when I start my silversmithing at the end of the month. Hope someone can advise you soon. Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Baked clay is quite soft - so probably any type of drill bit will work.

I actually would just use the drill bit and do it by hand. It will give you a good feel for how the baked clay reacts and if it is only a pendant, well it would be quicker to do it by hand than bother plugging in the dremel probably!
      Emma
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
      www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Emma's right. I use ordinary (HSS titanium tipped) drill bits, the ones for drilling metal & wood. I prefer to use the bits hand held or in a pin vise. There is a serious danger of things going wrong with any powered drill, generally I find it difficult to be accurate when first starting the hole. It would be quicker by hand, anyway, for just one bead.
        Bev
        Tamar Leather Hand tooled leather gifts that last a lifetime

Also find me on Facebook & Folksy

Comment

Working...
        X