Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

all you people who know lots about polymer clay PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all you people who know lots about polymer clay PLEASE HELP!

Hello nice people,

Ive been experimenting with polymer clay for making some tiny birds legs for my felt birds and although i can make something that looks good enough, in reality theyre really brittle and the teeny toes break off easily. I had thought about making a wire structure first and somehow trying to get the clay around this to strengthen it, and also making the legs without wire and dipping them in some sort of resin (dont know what yet though) to try and toughen them up. Does anyone have any ideas what else i might try or if it sounds like im on the right track? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks v much all
    Clare

Polymer clay is generally quite brittle in small, thin pieces. So in many ways you are fighting the tidy with your project. However, it might be worth trying to use a stronger clay brand, such as Cernit or Fimo Classic. Also, you could try coating the feet in a liquid clay such as Fimo Gel or even making the entire feed out of the gel? You could bake a layer of gel, coloured with inks, glitters or whatnot on a ceramic tile and then cut out with scissors the bird feet shapes?

I think you will just need to keep experimenting - hope you work a good method out.
    Emma
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

interesting...fimo gel. Will see about that. Im going to try making them out of wire and trying to fimo round them, but am sure theyll just crack and fall off the wires but will try to see! Thanks!

Comment

just out of curiosity do you intend the chicken to stand up on these feet?
        Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Hi,

I'm wondering about the possiibility of making wire legs and then binding around the wire with thread or yarn and then coating with PVA. What size do the legs need to be?
          Elizabeth

www.elizabethcampbell.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Lilac Moon Designs View Post
            just out of curiosity do you intend the chicken to stand up on these feet?
            An excellent point!

For some reason, I was just imagining feet for flat motifs like card toppers or something. I didn't think about the world of 3D!

I am guessing a wire armature would certainly be the way to go then in that case.

Emma
            Emma
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
            www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

yes theyre meant to stand on them and im intending them to be real size ie stick thin! Havent decided what these birds are meant to do yet...whether i should attach them to log things or stands or something. I just started making one for my partners aunt who we are off to see in a few weeks while we're on holiday. She carves birds from fruit woods, paints them and puts them on log-type settings etc as ornaments. Theyre really good, so thought id make her a pressie with the thing that i do - felt! Its just the extremities that are causing me bother at the moment!

Comment

Working...
              X