Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNOWF1975
    replied
    nightmare! All trial and error I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• katemcm
    replied
    Thanks Emma - Clay received today! I took a trip to Asda and........ the pens melted!!!!!! Arrrrrggggghhhhhh. I now have 29 Asda pens I dont know what to do with. I did get some bamboo skewers as well as I thought perhaps I could try builing a pen around these......... I have run out of other ideas!

Leave a comment:

• ejralph
    replied
    look for pens that don't have a rigid plastic case. Those will almost always die in the oven. What you need are ones with rubberised barrels

This is the closest to what we used to use - the Flexigrip by papermate. The only trouble is that now they are only available in retractable versions with a plastic clip attatched. You would need to remove that plastic clip somehow if you were to have any chance using them.
    http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/sku...4&id=ND538315/

Good luck!

Emma

Leave a comment:

• katemcm
    replied
    Thanks Emma - I have been trawling around everywhere today and cant find any pens that will work (my kitchen is full of melted pens).... My nearest asda is about 30 miles away and it seems a bit mad to drive all the way there just to get some pens (and I am not sure that my skills are up to making these without a pencase to work around). So, if anyone can recommend any other type of pen to try I would really really appreciate it - or else its going to be a 60 mile round trip to Asda tomorrow!

Thanks again
    Kate

Leave a comment:

• ejralph
    replied
    Originally posted by katemcm View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply, I have just baked a couple I got in WHSmiths and they to have distorted and shrunk. I will try the Asda pens and then if not will try your suggestion Emma.
    BTW - I ordered some stuff from your site yesterday after reading all the recommendations on this site!
    Thanks for your help
    Kate
    Aha!

You see I never am able to put two and two together and work out who is who when they order. So its always nice to know! Just got back from posting your clay out a couple of hours ago. Thanks for the order!

Emma

Leave a comment:

• katemcm
    replied
    Thank you so much for your reply, I have just baked a couple I got in WHSmiths and they to have distorted and shrunk. I will try the Asda pens and then if not will try your suggestion Emma.
    BTW - I ordered some stuff from your site yesterday after reading all the recommendations on this site!
    Thanks for your help
    Kate

Leave a comment:

• ejralph
    replied
    As you have found - some pens work, some dont.

Ones that we used to use were the papermate flexi or something named like that. But I think they discontinued them ;-(

With any pens you want to use, I would recommend a test bake on a "nude" pen first. Then you can make sure they can withstand the heat of the oven before spending time putting clay on them.

The other option is to do without the pen part at all and make all the body out of clay. This is a little trickier, but can give great results.

You need to remove the pen insert from any old biro you chose. Find a bakeable (ie metal) knitting needle or similar that is just a tad smaller diameter than the part of the pen insert that sticks into the pen barrel. If that makes ANY sense?

Then build your pen barrel around the knitting needle - use scrap clay to build up a tube and the cover it in decorative clay. You can even bake the scrap clay blank first if you wish.

When done, you should be able to push the pen insert into the clay barrel and keep it in place with a drop of superglue if needed.

As I said, this method takes a bit of trial and error to learn the best ways of doing it. But the advantage is you are not dependant on finding the right type of pen.

Leave a comment:

• beadsbydesign
    replied
    Asda do cheap packs of ten pens they are white with black tips. They work for me.

Leave a comment:

• katemcm
    replied
    Its just possible I have answered my own question - whilst hunting about on the net for a solution, 1 person suggested that using pen cases that are clear (like a standard bic) tend to melt whilst the others do not - so I will give that a try and let you know how I get on.......

Leave a comment:

• katemcm
    started a topic help please! covering pens

help please! covering pens

HI all - I am new here and pretty new to Polymer Clay.
    Today I covered a few pens with jelly roll swirl cane slices I had made and was really pleased with them!

However, when I went to bake them the plastic pen insert shrunk and melted and made the clay split. I was using Fimo and baked it about 100 degrees.

I was so gutted that this happened but dont know what to do - If I bake it at a much lower temp then I guess the clay will not hardern and if I do it hotter the pend melts!

I know that lots of people make these so I was looking for any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks
    Kate
Working...
X