Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Fimo to make a mould for something?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Fimo to make a mould for something?

Hi all.
    I was wondering if it is possible to use Fimo to make a mould of something that can then be used to create uniform fimo shapes?
    That is, if I squish some Fimo around an object then peel it off carefully and bake the Fimo, will it make a decent mould, hardwearing enough to then use with more Fimo to create shapes that will be the same every time?

Whats the best way to get the Fimo out of the mould once I have done this?

I have an idea for a bracelet but the shapes need to be the same every time.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone has used the TRANSPARENT Fimo and what results you got. Does it look nice? How is it to work with?
    I was hoping to use this in my next project if the mould thing works out!
    Many thanks for any ideas!
    Louise
    x

Thanks for asking about the transparent/translucent fimo, I was wondering the same thing.

Shary
    x
    My cardmaking blog

The other side of me

My new beading blog

So many beads , not enough cash

Comment

Short answer - yes, you can make a mould from Fimo. Sand it after baking, and you'll get a cleaner image.

However, I found that it's tricky to remove raw Fimo from a cured Fimo mould. Putting cornstarch or mica powers in the mould first can help with that (i.e. a release agent), but I always managed to distort my newly moulded item I've heard of some people baking the raw clay in the mould, but you *have* to use some sort of release agent with this method, other wise the clay just bonds to itself!

I love transparent Fimo, but I've then again, I've never tried other brands! I get a nice tranluscency from it, but it depends on how thin the clay is. Plunging it in ice water immediately after baking helps, as does sanding.

Um...hope that ramble helps a bit. Maybe Emma will come along in a while and be a bit more coherent than me

Edited to say: My results with Fimo transluscent are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/continuumdesigns/
      Better poly-clayers than me can make it look a lot nicer
      Last edited by Hazer; 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM.
      ContinuumDesigns- artisan polymer clay beads for one-of-a-kind designs.

The FHFTeam - featuring glass, jewellery and art handmade in the UK.

Comment

Not much I can add to Hazer's excellent post really!

I use fimo moulds a lot - cornflour or talcum powder make a good release. Like with all moulding, you need to be sure there are no undercuts that will trap the clay in places. I find that a sharp whack on the back of the mould usually dislodges the item ok.

I haven't ever baked fimo in a fimo mould, so no idea if that works or not!

As for the translucent fimo. On its own it can look pretty odd IMHO - but you don't tend to use it on its own.

You either use it for techniques that will make use of its almost see-through nature in very thin layers. Or, maybe use it coloured with other clay or stained with alcohol inks to create faux gemstones and the like.

If you google "translucent polymer clay projects" I bet you will find loads of examples of how it is used.

Emma
        Emma
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
        www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

jumping in a bit - i'm interested in the fimo mould thing, do you think it would work as a mould for resin?
          Find me on Facebook
          My Blog: http://www.birdcagecreative.blogspot.com/
          Folksy: http://www.folksy.com/shops/BirdcageCreative
          Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirdcageCreative

Comment

I'm going to jump in here a bit too and ask, do you guys think I could make a decent mould for melt and pour soap from Fimo? I had the idea a couple of days ago that if it works I could make some lovely custom molds, or add decorations to plain molds.
            I thought about using other materials too but Fimo (as I have some Fimo it would be that I would use for now, but my local craft shop has more Sculpey I think) struck me as a good idea because it retains some flexability and I hope it wouldn't stick to soap.
            Bear in mind the molten soap will be no more than 70C and it usually contracts as it cools. A lot of soap molds are plastic, however some essential oils can eat into plastic (but I could exclude these). I'm really new to soap so I can't tell you much more than that, and I'm also not too savvy with polymer clays either.
            Any ideas would be great though
            So many things to make, so little time!
            http://melaniescraft.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hmm, I wouldn't say baked polymer clay is that flexible...it may be okay for you, but I've never been able to flex a Fimo mould enough to 'pop' something out of it.

Also, I'm not sure how it would react to the chemicals in soap...maybe a silicon mould making compound would be better - I think it costs around £20, and it seems quite good

(Wow, my previous post wasn't incoherent after all - thanks Emma!)
              ContinuumDesigns- artisan polymer clay beads for one-of-a-kind designs.

The FHFTeam - featuring glass, jewellery and art handmade in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazer View Post
                Hmm, I wouldn't say baked polymer clay is that flexible...it may be okay for you, but I've never been able to flex a Fimo mould enough to 'pop' something out of it.

Also, I'm not sure how it would react to the chemicals in soap...maybe a silicon mould making compound would be better - I think it costs around £20, and it seems quite good

(Wow, my previous post wasn't incoherent after all - thanks Emma!)
                I also thought of silicone compounds, but I can't remember if it was latex or silicone my dad used to make molds when I was younger, but something in it bothered my lungs and made me choke.
                Maybe I undercooked the last Fimo model that I made, it was a snake and it's tongue is pretty flexible, though probably because it's so thin, but I know the rest of the snake moves by a few milimeters too.
                I guess a test is in order for the chemicals in soap, but I can't see anything that would bother it as melt and pour glycerin is less harsh to skin than store-bought soap.

I'll pick up some more clay at some point soon and let you know how it goes!
                So many things to make, so little time!
                http://melaniescraft.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X