Icing Gun for polymer clay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icing Gun for polymer clay

I went on a jewellery with fimo course at the weekend and they suggested buying an icing gun to do long thin strands. I brought one off amazon and when it arrived it was no where near strong enough for the fimo no matter how much I conditioned it! So £20 down the drain I am not looking for another one. The one the tutor had was the sugarcraft gun but I can only find it on the net and I don't want to wait days for it to arrive. Does anyone know of a good one I can buy in a regular shop as I would like it for the weekend!

Thanks

I used to use a sugarpaste gun. But to be honest, they are not hugely easy on the hands and so far from ideal.

But that was before we had the Makin's Clay Extruder!

These extruders are a lot easier to use - they work on a screw system rather than a plunger,so a lot easier on your hands. They also have a large, easy-to-clean barrel and come with a great assortment of different dies.

Also, you can buy additional die sets and also open core adaptors so you can extrude hollow shapes!
    Emma
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by ejralph View Post
      I used to use a sugarpaste gun. But to be honest, they are not hugely easy on the hands and so far from ideal.

But that was before we had the Makin's Clay Extruder!

These extruders are a lot easier to use - they work on a screw system rather than a plunger,so a lot easier on your hands. They also have a large, easy-to-clean barrel and come with a great assortment of different dies.

Also, you can buy additional die sets and also open core adaptors so you can extrude hollow shapes!
      I use the extruder thingy (bought it from Emma's shop) and it's fab, I love it. It's very sturdy, I've definitely put it through its paces and it can withstand pretty much anything I reckon.

Never seen the open core adapters before but just looked them up and oh how I want them!!!!! *Wishes it was her birthday this month*

Lorna x
      Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

Comment

I have the plunger type clay extruder which is now a bit dated and it only really comes out when I am in dire need of it as it sure is hard on the hands and I was unaware they had 'updated' it to a screw type! Something I must look into

I use a garlic presser to get long strands which are good enough for what I need so it depends on how thin you yourself want your strands.

Pauline
        Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

I bought a brillianrt biscuit press from Aldi or Lidl that's almost all steel, and has replacable front plates - maybe that'd be useful...
          Cheers,
          Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
          Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

I must admit that I also bought an icing gun and has little success with it too! I must definitely invest in the screw-type extruder - they do look like they will get the job done!
            Jayne
            http://www.folksy.com/shops/Jaykay

Comment

The trouble with polymer clay is that it is so much stiffer than things like icing, dough - even ceramic clays etc.

So all the tools for those materials do tend to be a compromise. Because they all tend to work on a straight forward plunger or a ratchet system.

But polymer clay is so firm that the plungers just do your hands in, or the ratchetts break. Polymer clayers used to use the metal clay guns for ceramic clays etc but would have to create wooden levers to aid in using them, or attach them to caulking guns etc.

The Makins extruder is the first one with a screw system. So much easier to use and much harder wearing.

Emma
              Emma
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
              www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Thanks a lot. I brought a sugarcraft gun in the end as I found it in a craft shop. I hadn't seen the screw extruder guns anywhere. Oh well! My sugarcraft gun is fine for now, a little tough but at least I know what to try next if I don't get on with it. Have made some fabulous beads today with it!

Comment

That Makins gun looks really good - never seen the adapter to make hollow shapes before.
                  I've got the Sculpey one that you have to push and it's a real struggle!
                  http://www.kookizu.com
                  Jewellery & Accessories

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X