Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• translucent fimo

hi all tips needed please !
    ive recently bought some translucent fimo but its not exactly translucent !! does anyone know if it goes completely translucent or have any tips on how to achieve it ?
    thanks
    kel xx
    http://www.enchanteddoorways.co.uk

Hi Phoebe,
    If you need completely translucent, you have to use Fimo Deko Gel. Or any other mark transparan jel.
    I am inviting you for a cup of coffee, http://nihalerpeden.blogspot.com
    My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/DONDURMA?ref=si_shop

Comment

Hi

Fimo used to do a translucent, but when there was a change in regulations, which meant a change in the formula used, the translucent in the Classic range disappeared & was replaced with Transparent/White in the Soft range.

I've found most of this out when searching online when I started to get interested in polymer clay.

Another search today, on a different matter - came across a site that reckoned Premo 5317 is the most translucent. This website called it "Bleached Translucent (Frost)" whereas everywhere else seems to just call it Frost!

There are also a couple of places that rate various clays in (their opinion) order of translucency.

I do not have enough experience to confirm any of this, but hopefully a few more knowledgeable people will be along to add their opinions to the mix

Bev
      Last edited by Bev478; 04-02-2010, 12:12 AM.
      Bev
      Tamar Leather Hand tooled leather gifts that last a lifetime

Also find me on Facebook & Folksy

Comment

The thing to remember is that they are translucent clays and not transparent.

There are no truly transparent polymer clay blocks out there, never have been and I doubt there ever will. (Although we all dream for one!)

The translucent clays can become virtually transparent though, but only used in very very thin layers. Literally layers of smaller than 1 mm thick. Be that cane slices, where you use translucent to pack the edge of the cane so the inner design appears borderless when used. Or in thin layers for techniques like Translucent Mokume Gane etc where very thin layers of translucent can allow you to see through to layers of metal leaf below.

It is true that Fimo discontinued their Fimo Classic Translucent. However, this was never the best choice for translucent projects anyway, as the Fimo Soft version was always clearer. The Classic version tended to plaque(where you see little crescent moon shapes in the baked clay). So it was very popular with people making faux gemstones etc. But ultimately the Fimo Soft was the more popular of the two, which is why they continued only with that product.

In all translucent clays, there is a bit of a pay off between those that are very white and those which are not. The ones that are very white can be a tad less transparent in micro-thin layers, but they are not prone to yellowing either.

I personally prefer the white translucents such as Fimo Soft and Cernit for this reason. I think the Cernit translucent is very nice indeed, but it does require a little bit of experience in handling when used in very thin sheets as it can be a bit sticky! For those new to using translucent clays that way, the Fimo Soft is probably a little easier to physically handle in thin sheets.
        Last edited by ejralph; 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM.
        Emma
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
        www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Thanks for the info on this. I dabbled with translucent clay a while ago but I gave up because it still showed up as the background, but now I know why!
          Jayne
          http://www.folksy.com/shops/Jaykay

Comment

Working...
          X