Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best polymer clay for beads & jewellery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best polymer clay for beads & jewellery?

So I've been experimenting for a month or so with polymer clay making beads and pendants etc. At the moment I've just been working with Fimo both the classic and soft and Fimo effects which seems to be a lot harder to condition.
    Now the question is this; is there much difference between the different brands of clay? I've seen varying brands and types such as sculpey etc. and was wondering if one type or another was better for jewellery making or easier to condition.

Caroline
    silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
    bespoke handmade jewellery
    Silver Jewellery blog
    Handmade Jewellery Blog

A lot of clays are easier to condition that Fimo Classic (Sculpey products tend to be easy in this respect), but invariably this means that they're harder to cane with, or don't always have the same strength as other brands.

Fimo Classic, KatoClay and Cernit are probably the strongest brands, so they're good for larger beads, and they're good for caning as they don't bleed or move so much. For small beads, the softer clays are okay though

HTH
    ContinuumDesigns- artisan polymer clay beads for one-of-a-kind designs.

The FHFTeam - featuring glass, jewellery and art handmade in the UK.

Comment

Hazer said everything I wanted too really. Really it depends what type of beads you want to make, but sometimes you have to put up with a harder to condition clay in order to get the other working qualities you want.

Cernit is quite hard to get conditioned I think, although lovely and soft once it is - but its strength after baking and colour range make that well worth any extra effort. Fimo Classic is almost as strong as Cernit if you bake it to around 125 degrees, but a lot easier to condition.

Some clays like Sculpey 3 are very very soft and easy to work, but the finished beads will not be so strong. Not much of a problem for solid round beads, but anything sculptural or flat pendants won't last long made from it.
      Emma
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
      www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Thanks both of you, that's helped a lot.

Caroline
        silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
        bespoke handmade jewellery
        Silver Jewellery blog
        Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Working...
        X