Shape cutters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shape cutters

I can't stop talking about polymer clay now there's a special places for it.

Has anyone used the Kemper cutters, either for polymer clay, or silver art clay? I know they're meant to be quality cutters, but I wondered if anyone had personal experience.

Alternatively, does anyone know if these are any good?
    http://www.polymerclaypit.co.uk/Prod...on=&FromPage=2

(I always feel a little bit like using cutters is cheating, but there's no way I can cut a perfect 5mm circle )
    ContinuumDesigns- artisan polymer clay beads for one-of-a-kind designs.

The FHFTeam - featuring glass, jewellery and art handmade in the UK.

I've dabbled with PC, and used this cutter (or one very similar) Didn't have probs with it and any minor irregularities can be sanded out easily. The square one I had, broke at the join point but that's the only problem I had.

ps...I have to emphasise that I've only 'played' with pc and know very little about it, so I hope someone with experience pops in to help!
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks, I was afriad that the join would be a problem - my current cutters also warp at the join (and break) so I don't want to buy something the same this time!

Comment

Mine came in a pack of 3 different sizes so they can't be the same ones - these might be better made than the ones I had? I'd hate to think I've put you off trying them out.
        Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think we bought the same brand of cutters - and I get the feeling that though that other one may be better, I'll still manage to break it!
          (You didn't put me off, I already had doubts! )

Comment

I have spent so much money on cutters in the past and always seem to break them or whack them out of round.

That is why I stick to the Makins cutters. I find them easy to re-shape if the go out of round and they seem to last me just as long as any others I have tried. Plus they are really economical.

When I cut something round though - I will seldom just leave it there. I might turn the cutter a few times and re-cut, giving me a sort of "average" cut from the cutter. If that makes any sense?

Also, I think polymer clay cut shapes look a lot nicer if you sand the edges a little once they are baked. The devil is in the detail and all that.

I have seen some lovely projects in magazines recently using cut-out shapes, that really let themselves down just through want of a touch of sanding afterwards.
            Emma
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
            www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Heh, cutters are the bane of my existence at the moment. I've tried Makins, but polymer clay always wedges itself in between the join, and creates an ugly bulge!

I do sand as much as possible, but I just can't sand enough to make something perfectly round...my fault I know, but I'd rather start off with something as round as possible.

Good tip about getting an 'average' shape; I'll be trying that next time

(To defend Makins though, I stood on one of mine, and it was easy to make it round again. Oh, and I do love the prices )

Comment

Try searching for plastic cutters. Look at cake decorating shops etc

They won't have a seam - so should give you the more precise cut and perfectly round shape you are looking for.

Just be aware that polymer clay doesn't like some plastics AT ALL. If they are the clear, very rigid/brittle type plastics they are likely to be incompatible with the clay.

If they are the cloudy/ milky type of plastic that is relatively flexible, they should be fine.

Whatever the plastic, you could still use them with clay - just be sure to never let any clay stay in contact with them for longer than necessary. Clean them off well the minute you have finished using them by wiping down with a paper towel and meths or something, to remove all traces of the polymer clay's plasticisers. Else those plasticisers will get to work on the plastic in the cutter too, softening it into a gooey goo!

Generally speaking though, I think most plastics cutters are fine anyway, but since plastic cutters can be surprisingly dear, just be aware of the potential for problems with clay / plastics and keep them clean to avoid any problems.

Emma
                Emma
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                X