Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fimo products

http://www.charmedcardsandcrafts.co....d_Laquers.html

I've been looking for craft supplies and found these - I've never seen matt Fimo Varnish before, or the powders (apart from the metal coloured ones) - does anyone have any experience with these products? Are the metallic powders like Mica powders?
    ContinuumDesigns- artisan polymer clay beads for one-of-a-kind designs.

The FHFTeam - featuring glass, jewellery and art handmade in the UK.

Originally posted by Hazer View Post
    http://www.charmedcardsandcrafts.co....d_Laquers.html

I've been looking for craft supplies and found these - I've never seen matt Fimo Varnish before, or the powders (apart from the metal coloured ones) - does anyone have any experience with these products? Are the metallic powders like Mica powders?

These are very old stock - Fimo don't make these powders or varnishes anymore and haven't done for years.

The powders are no longer made for safety reasons - these old powders were made from real powdered metal which is not safe to breath in as Mica powders are. Hence now Fimo only make the metal-coloured mica-based powders.

So, if you want to use these older type powders - just be aware they are a respiratory hazard and wear the right type of respirator with them (a bit like in glasswork where you need to wear the right type mask when working with powdered enamels). Personally I would stick with the modern mica-based products such as Perfect Pearls, pearlex etc. They are safer and prettier IMO

The varnishes are also the old type - no longer made. In this case, they reformulated the varnishes to remove the phthalates and meet EC laws. So, not so much a safety issue here (unless you are concerned about coming into contact with phthalates.) just a legal one.

The only varnish Fimo make today is the water-based gloss one, which has been formulated to be phthalate-free and compatible with the new-type Fimo.

I don't mean to be negative. I just think it is important that you guys know these products are old stock and obsolete products.

Some old skool clayers probably would love to get their hands on some of this stuff though, so a really cool link! Many people mourned the loss of the old gloss varnish for example. And too, the colourful powders - despite the risk of lung damage!

I hope their clay stocks are not as old as their varnish and powders
    Emma
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Thanks Emma - I did wonder if the website was obsolete (as far as ordering goes), but I couldn't find anything to confirm that.

Somehow I don't think I'll be buying any of them anyway, though they're almost collector's items! If someone bought them up to sell to 'old-skool' polymer clay fans, I think there'd be a market for them!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazer View Post
        Thanks Emma - I did wonder if the website was obsolete (as far as ordering goes), but I couldn't find anything to confirm that.

Somehow I don't think I'll be buying any of them anyway, though they're almost collector's items! If someone bought them up to sell to 'old-skool' polymer clay fans, I think there'd be a market for them!
        Oh absolutely!

If I could get stocks of these items, I probably would do, just for the die-hard fans. But I would also make sure it was obvious that they ARE old stock and obsolete and the reasons why.

Because I do think that sort of info is important. Obviously safety issues are paramount. Also, for some products in polymer clay, there is a shelf-life and the product just won't work properly if it is too old.

I have heard of people over the years who ran a mile from Fimo only because they had picked up stale clay at a shop and had no idea fresh clay was so different! (Actually the only reason I became a stockist in the first place was because I was sick of the existing Fimo mail order companies sending me such stale, cruddy clay for my own work! This is why I order little and often with my Fimo and Cernit stocks so the clay is always very fresh)

I didn't mean to infer their website was old or that you shouldn't risk ordering from them. I have no clue who they are - my comments are not aimed in that direction at all.

I just wanted you to know the products shown are very old and no longer made, since you asked about them. I have been selling Fimo products for several years now and most of these items were long gone from the catalogue before I became a stockist.

Emma
        Emma
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
        www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

No worries, you haven't put me off the site at all - they haven't lost any custom as I'd already got what I was looking for, I was just looking at it for nosiness' sake!

Comment

Hi

I have some Fimo glitters that are quite old now.

Are these like the ones you're talking about?

Fimo glitters.jpg

If so, I'll make sure I'm very careful when I use them.

Cheers,

Autumn
            Autumn Thyme

Comment

how do you keep fimo? does it go off when comes into contact with air? got some weird rubber moulding stuff but goes off in a couple of hour when left out.

Comment

Originally posted by wyvern9lb View Post
                how do you keep fimo? does it go off when comes into contact with air? got some weird rubber moulding stuff but goes off in a couple of hour when left out.
                I just keep my fimo wrapped in the plastic in comes in. It does get a bit hard and crumbly with age, but isn't air dry so is good for a while.
                Mythillogical- Myths & Fabrications: Creating all manner of three-dimensional mixed media oddities
                etsy facebook blog tumblr

Comment

Working...
                X