How do you all style your photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you all style your photos?

A few blogs I follow include a behind the scenes peak at how they take their photos, write their posts and manage their tasks and I was amazed to see that their pictures are so intricately styled and planned.

One of the articles showed that a blogger used a marble tile to take photos of her crafts on, which looks amazingly like the most beautiful kitchen/bathroom ever when in fact it was just a marble slab! Well after reading this and seeing the quality of her photos i decided to go out and get myself one of these marble slabs and the difference it made was AMAZING.

and I decided to take a crack at 'styling' and really couldnt believe how professional it looked despite doing it myself Instead of just taking a picture of my body scrub, i popped it in a tiny bucket with some white face towels, a fancy soap bar and half a lemon and it looked great. Anyway.. that tip changed my life and I was wondering if you have any styling tips?

Where do you take your photos, what 'props' do you use, what kind of look and feeling are you going for? I'd love to know!
    "Eat, Make, Hustle"

Wisteria Interior

There are two very different photos for selling, product shots and lifestyle shots. Magazines usually want product shots, item on a white background, high resolution but potential customers usually want to see something they can relate to. In an online shop I think you need a product shot so people can see exactly what they are buying, but the lifestyle shot should make then 'buy in' to it. Luxury sells, making the client feel they have taste and style by purchasing what you have to sell. Props can vary from a different ground to a whole setting depending on what you are trying to sell. Sometimes its also good to have a theme running through your items that customers can recognise and relate your products to.

This is a huge subject but getting it right for you is trial and error. It's worth experimenting with lots of unusual props or just keeping it simple with one or two that you use in all your pictures.

I have done some styling for photoshoots in a past life and it's a fascinating subject.

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Wow, thanks Mo! This is such a detailed answer, it sounds like you have a lot of experience with it! I never thought about it like this, i always wondered whether to use a plain white background or whether to do a more styled shot. I love lifestyle shots but, you're right, it does become very difficult creating a constant theme throughout the pictures.. Mine are mostly tutorials for my blog at the moment as my etsy shop has taken a backseat, so i just try and make my projects look as inviting and homely as possible

It really is a fascinating subject, making a cool lifestyle shot is so rewarding.

Ooh how did you get into product styling? Thank you for the advice!
      "Eat, Make, Hustle"

Wisteria Interior

Comment

Mo has given you a good answer. The other thing to think about now is buyers seem to have things spelled out more such as buying a home that has to be staged. They no longer seem to use their imagination as to what potential a house can be like. Watching some of these tv programmes the number of times buyers have looked at a property and said 'Oh I don't like that table'. I usually end up shouting at the tv 'you are not buying the table'. I have some of each on my site but finding the life style shots sell the items better to my audience. In other words know who you are selling to, I don't mean personally but the type of people that will buy from you. A bit like some shop in Harrods some shop in Pound Store, nothing wrong with either but the Harrods customer will expect more in the packaging etc and be prepared to pay more.

Comment

I take all of my hair accessory and flower brooch photos with the items sat on my mouse mat. It's a green leafy pattern and looks like I'm outside with some fancy background blurring - but really its just how the mat is!
          Lucy Blossom
          Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
          https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Blossom View Post
            I take all of my hair accessory and flower brooch photos with the items sat on my mouse mat. It's a green leafy pattern and looks like I'm outside with some fancy background blurring - but really its just how the mat is!
            Wow i just had a look, i would have never in a million years guessed it was a mouse matt!
            "Eat, Make, Hustle"

Wisteria Interior

Comment

Thank you for the wise words caroline, i myself also find that im very drawn to products that are amongst other things in the home so hopefully buyers/blog visitors will feel the same way. And i think that finding out who my target audience is might be the key to finding my own style and consistency within my photos.

Does anyone ever use fonts and writing over their photos? I do when i am taking photos for tutorials and diy projects and ive found a good font that i like, but as you said, i have to maintain a theme throughout the pictures, so im a bit wary of using different fonts over my pictures now. What do you think?
              "Eat, Make, Hustle"

Wisteria Interior

Comment

Lucy has gone down the theme route and the 'foliage' wraps around the item framing the subject whilst not detracting from it with faded focus close to the item giving colour rather than leaves. If she had used a lot of natural foliage it would probably have detracted from what she is selling unless perhaps it was staged as she has with the mousemat almost in one corner. If you look on line or FB there lots of product shots taken outdoors because natural light is the best and easiest to photograph in if you are not proficient with the camera, but so many items are hidden or overpowered by the background.

Caroline is right you have to allow for the idiot factor. If you are selling up market then stage in the same way, luxury expects luxurious products or at least the promise of them. The difference between photographing a champagne glass with a bottle of Cava or a bottle of Bollinger.

Your Hoop Art, firstly for such a small item the second photograph in your shop would have been the better one to use as the primary photo, with the tag moved off of it, it's clear and you can read the saying. Your description mentions every crafter should have it on their wall so take a photo of it on the wall above a work area maybe but in such a way that your product is 'framed' so the customer can focus on what you are trying to get them to buy.

I do find the art of staging fascinating too. Because I was often on photographic shoots although for larger items or whole rooms it taught me a lot and helped when staging showroom or events. The other thing is really look through the lens at every millimeter that's in the shot. You will probably take 20 or more photos to get the one really good one. The smallest change of angle or spacing of items can make a huge difference. Use a good photo editing package that you can get on with too.

Mo.XX

PS I don't always practice what I preach LOL
                Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to get some sort of editting programme. Mind you, photoshop is SO expensive!! ): I see what you mean about my embroidery pictures, thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback ^^ I have been neglecting my etsy shop a little bit i think. My photography has come quite a long way since I took those photos. Some of the styling for my blog I'm quite proud of though.. What do you think? this is what I mean about using fonts on images. I think I'll probably have to stick with this font for all of my images now.

Thank you all for your expertise, I love this forum!
                  "Eat, Make, Hustle"

Wisteria Interior

Comment

Your attachment doesn't come up when clicked on. I get more success with attachments when I use the Advanced button first and post on that page.

Mo.XX
                    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                    www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

okie dokie, i'll try that now.. i hope ive done it right
                      Attached Files
                      "Eat, Make, Hustle"

Wisteria Interior

Comment

I would have put handmade soap in the bucket or unbranded. Not sure about the writing maybe a bit lower on the bucket would look better

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
                          I would have put handmade soap in the bucket or unbranded. Not sure about the writing maybe a bit lower on the bucket would look better
                          Thanks for the advice carol! I didn't have handmade soap to hand unfortunately ):
                          "Eat, Make, Hustle"

Wisteria Interior

Comment

Personally I don't like the writing over the product photo. Everything is crammed into the bucket with a bare area below. I agree with Caroline about the soap and I would have put the writing, unframed, at the bottom of the picture. If the purpose of the frame was to highlight it then put a 'stress point' at each end centrally.

The photo does look crisp and fresh and I would probably have put something to one side of the bucket on the table top. One of the folded flannels and the soap/lemon on top maybe ???? As it's a body scrub you're trying to advertise then perhaps a loofah or body brush on the towel by the bucket.

Mo.XX
                            Last edited by MornieG Jewellery; 24-04-2015, 11:25 PM.
                            Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                            www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

I agree with Mo you need to build up a picture, most bathrooms would not have everything that tidy, here is a sample I know not the came as yours but the addition of the background and lemon, or could be lime, look appealing.

Take a look at this book on Amazon, I got it a couple of years ago and gives some very good ideas for photography
                              Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 25-04-2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X