This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project advice please.

Hi all, I am kicking around an idea of taking photos of, for example, Harley Davidson owners on their bikes ,in Black & white then cutting out & 3d'ing them, mounting into a box frame maybe to give back to the owners. Same with Mod scooter owners. Are there any copyright issues I need to be aware of & do I need anyone's permission to then reproduce the images if the project is successful?
    Many thanks..Dave.
    P.s. If you don't know, might you know where I can find out?

No there are no copyright issues in general and no in the UK the subjects are on public (not private) land you don't need their permission.

That said, it's always polite to ask. I'm an amateur photographer (I use film, My photo blog ) and find if you ask you are more likely to get a conversation going which always opens up the options for more images.

Comment

Hello,

I don't think there is any copyright issues at all here if you are the one taking the pictures - you own the pictures and the right to do with what you want with them! If privacy issues are what you need to consider then I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you are photographing a public figure with injunctions - and that is pretty rare :-))) or persons in a private place. Children in pics are obviously a no-no - as you probably know anyway.

It is your work to do what you want with - as a painter would be - had they painted a Harley, a street scene. I see no problem with this at all. As long as noone is identified in a personal way you have nothing to worry about.

Libby x
      www.inside-the-jewellery-box.co.uk
      My new blog:http://insidethejewellerybox.blogspot.co.uk/
      www.facebook.com/insidethejewellerybox
      http://folksy.com/shops/InsidetheJewelleryBox

Comment

Originally posted by InsidetheJewelleryBox View Post
        Children in pics are obviously a no-no - as you probably know anyway.
        Legally there is no... no-no. You can photograph anyone in a public space.

Of course that doesn't mean you should abuse that privileged right. If you do it's an issue of harassment.

I've taken candids of children before. I will admit that in this era in which we dare not let our children 1 metre from the door sensitivities have changed, though you just have to judge each situation individually and make the decision whether to take the photo or not. I always ask the parents if they'd like me to post them a print (I prefer to send a print because it feels more substantial) I've never had anyone question my intent and I usually get a nice letter or email back thanking me.

What I would never ever do though is post or publish an image of a child without the parents permission.

Generally though I believe it's how you do it, and where you do it. I believe it's a privilege we have in this society and we should act responsibly.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Luckily there are no children riding Harley's or Lambretta motor scooters around the streets here (Yet!) so that's ok. Would only be with owners permission.The depth perspective of the machines was my main focus(if you pardon the pun), the owners may possibly come into the project later. Every sunday our village is infested by Harleys, scooters, trikes, etc . Might as well use 'em for something (Lol)
          Thanks all..Dave.

Comment

Snugcraft - I meant socially, not legally :-) I daren't get my camera out in play areas to take photos of my son if any other child is in the picture - but I suppose I wouldn't like it if strangers where to take pictures of my children - but that's a whole other topic!

Good luck, Dave! Don't forget to post some of your bike pics here! My other half rides a motorbike (don't ask me what sort lol) so I know the obsession :-)) I reckon if you took their pic on their bike they would love it!

Libby
            www.inside-the-jewellery-box.co.uk
            My new blog:http://insidethejewellerybox.blogspot.co.uk/
            www.facebook.com/insidethejewellerybox
            http://folksy.com/shops/InsidetheJewelleryBox

Comment

Originally posted by InsidetheJewelleryBox View Post
              Snugcraft - I meant socially, not legally :-) I daren't get my camera out in play areas to take photos of my son if any other child is in the picture - but I suppose I wouldn't like it if strangers where to take pictures of my children - but that's a whole other topic!

Good luck, Dave! Don't forget to post some of your bike pics here! My other half rides a motorbike (don't ask me what sort lol) so I know the obsession :-)) I reckon if you took their pic on their bike they would love it!

Libby
              It's sad isn't it. You should feel like you can take photos of your own children at a play-park but I understand how some people feel. I feel as a nation we've got so hung up about this especially when statistically dangers to children are more likely to come from within the home than from outside it. I blame the tabloid newspapers they've sensationalised so much of this stuff to sell papers.

Anyway we digress. Dave will you share some photos when you've done. I'm sure we'd all love to see!

Comment

Nope there is not much to worry about. Good luck with the shoorts

Comment

Welcome to the forum Nelson. Please check the dates f the threads you respond to, I am sure Dave and Libby have got themselves sorted - in the last 6 years
                  Do not watch this space

Comment

Oh, and I have closed the thread
                    Do not watch this space

Comment

Working...
                    X