Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling prints, need advice on how to make black show as black

Hi

Trying to get my photos to professional quality, my problem is they print out ok but the black just isn't black enough. I'm using a HP K7100 printer and PhotoShop CS4

Any ideas?

I have a canon and up the black setting to 10, leaving the other colour settings at the default. I find that makes solid colours 'solid'. I've tried the whole calibration thing, but I use a laptop which is harder to calibrate than a monitor. Maybe when I make my millions I can afford a separate monitor!

Judith
    www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

Comment

You need to have a true black point, in Levels make sure there are no missing pixels to the left of the histogram, if there are move the slider to the right a little. As regards printing, your prints may be suffering from metamerism, this is where blacks look slightly green or bronze in a certain light. There's not much you can do about this save for getting a printer that uses multiple black/grey cartridges, or changing it completely to monochrome, but then obviously you'd lose the option of colour printing. Apologies if you already know any of this.
      http://www.kirkstoneleathercraft.co.uk/

Comment

If you order at photobox.co.uk they'll send you a calibration card so you can set your monitor to match the print.... also, use CMYK instead of RGB... true black in CMYK should be C:40 M:40 Y:40 K:100

Private message me if you need any more detail
        Custom School Yearbooks and Scrapbooks

Comment

in indesign there is a printing option of making black black sounds stupid but mayb there is something similar in photoshop? havnt come across it myself so you would have to do some searching

Comment

Just Spotted this thread from a while ago - if anyone is still interested, you have to set the document type as CMYK in photoshop before you do any of this...
            Custom School Yearbooks and Scrapbooks

Comment

Working...
            X