What sort of lighting to use for photographing jewellery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of lighting to use for photographing jewellery

Does anyone understand the different types of lighting used to photogaph jewellery, beads and findings (I'm thinking specifically of silver or clear jewellery on a white background)?

I took lessons with a photographer recently and she said to get fluorescent lights. When I went into the camera shop at the weekend to discuss it with them, they said use daylight bulbs. I'm now confused. Does anyone have knowledge of the different types of lighting, and what I should use (specifically for using a white background, as I have learned this causes extra problems)? Also, how many lights do I need and how strong should they be? I will be using a photo booth/ light cube.

Anne
    Annie

I use daylight, three either side of my light tent diffused in and one reflector shining on it

then may need to up contrast and brightness on computer, but not so much it drowns out the silver.

I should also say i don't get perfect shots when i do this, but as good as i can
    Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

Depends what the product is and what colour background it's on, but generally in a 'cube' I would use two daylight either side and a spot positioned to highlight a feature. What you should never do is use flash! If all else fails, use real daylight, as then it's natural looking light.
      www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

Comment

To be honest, I find I get better results in natural daylight. I have a light tent, daylight lights, diffusers etc but I don't like the results as much as I do when I just go out into the garden. Early morning is best, when the sunshine is still weak, and I avoid direct sun so as to avoid shadows.
        Heather
        Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by HappySheep View Post
          Depends what the product is and what colour background it's on, .
          I'm thinking specifically of silver or clear objects on a white background, which is where most problems arise. Using a coloured background is not a problem, as the problem is caused by wanting to photograph objects with very little colour in them on a white background.

Anne
          Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty things View Post
            To be honest, I find I get better results in natural daylight. I have a light tent, daylight lights, diffusers etc but I don't like the results as much as I do when I just go out into the garden. Early morning is best, when the sunshine is still weak, and I avoid direct sun so as to avoid shadows.
            Hi Heather

This is great when using a non-white background, and when your pieces have colour in them, as seems to be the case on your website - your photos look great. I'm thinking specifically of using a white background (and hence the need for a standardised, inside environment) with objects that have little colour in them such as silver or clear.
            Annie

Comment

I'm having exactly the same challenge!
              We've been using two day light (blue spectrum) craft spot lamps and two small 12" high spot lamps which came with my photographic cube studio. We're trying to photograph semi precious gems (more subtle tones) and pearls, with silver on a white background, but it is proving a huge challenge!!
              We're now on our second set of product photos as the origional ones done on a hessian background were not suitable. (even though it went well with the product, I don't think you can beat a white background for looking professional)
              neither of us know about photography although we are able to borrow a professional standard camera from work, so can't help feeling we're nearly there!
              It sounds like if we just get two more lamps that could do the trick? What strength bulbs do you think would be best please and where might we get them from if possible please?
              Any further suggestions would be hugely appreciated!
              Carol
              Wishing you the success I also wish for myself
              May you be blessed with the kindness you show others in life.

Comment

I've found a great website, and have just ordered some equipment from them.

www.tabletopstudio.co.uk

The site explains everything from choice of camera to lighting and background.
                Annie

Comment

Originally posted by iBeads View Post
                  I've found a great website, and have just ordered some equipment from them.

www.tabletopstudio.co.uk

The site explains everything from choice of camera to lighting and background.
                  Thank you for the great link, iBeads!
                  Pia from Sweden
                  No homepage yet...

Comment

thanks

thanks for all the tips above, i've been doing lots of experimenting and am quite keen on the results with natural light! borrowed books from the library on digital photography and had a lesson from photographer who recommended using lightroom software for post production. very pleased with teh results we're starting to get now. although as a perfetionist, can't help feeling it could always be better! hope this helps someone else.
                    Wishing you the success I also wish for myself
                    May you be blessed with the kindness you show others in life.

Comment

try looking at tabletopstudio.com/documents/jewelry_photography.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X