Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for bead photography using Photoshop (and probably photoshop elements)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for bead photography using Photoshop (and probably photoshop elements)

Hi

I can't remember which website I found this series of steps on but it works pretty well for me when taking pictures of my beads and jewellery. Hopefully they may be of use to some of you as well:

To take the picture:

1. I place my beads/jewellery on a small pile of white A4 paper (I use a pile around 20 sheets thick so the table does not show through).
    2. I then use 2 x table top studio lights and place them either side of the paper pointing down.
    3. I set my camera to use Aperture priority and set it to F22, set the white balance to Florescent and the metre mode to centre weighted.
    4. The camera is mounted on a tripod and I snap away. I take several shots of each piece, from different angles.

Once the picture has been taken it will appear dark but this is where Photoshop does its magic.

In photoshop:

1. Open the image
    2. If the background contains any table or other object other than the paper, crop the image so that the background only contains the paper.
    3. Now, from the menu you need to select the Levels option. On my version this is found under Image > Adjustments > Levels
    4. In the window that opens you will see three small eye dropper tools (Set Black, Gray and White). Click the 'Set white' eye dropper.
    5. Now click somewhere on the image background that should be white.
    6. This will make your image brighter and the background should be pretty much white.

The final stage will be to sharpen the images but before I do this I crop and resize my image. I normally make mine 600 pixels square for the website.

Once the image is the right size, select the Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask option from the menu.
    In the window that pops up I use the following settings:

Amount 96%
    Radius 1.4
    Threshold 0

Thats it. You can see how this turns out by looking at the images on my website. Not all are 100% perfect but i'm pretty happy with the results.

I'm not to sure how this would work with clear beads and pearls but it works pretty well with colour beads.
    Last edited by pureglassbeads; 30-03-2011, 10:12 AM.
    Alison
    Pure Glass Beads

My web site - Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads

Visit My Facebook Page

Thanks a lot for posting this, Alison.

I've just spent today at a photography lesson as I have real trouble getting decent pictures for my website, and covered similar things to the points you're making. The next thing I need to do is to buy a better camera and practise.

Anne
    Annie

Comment

Hi Anne

If you want to send me a picture of your beads I will run it through the process I use and see how it comes out. Just send it to [email protected]lassbeads.co.uk.
      Alison
      Pure Glass Beads

Visit My Facebook Page

Comment

What sort of camera and set up do you use? I'm on a Nikon D3100 with the bog standard 18-55 mm lense and find some of my shots frustrating. Very good advice though, keep it up!
        "The sea and the waves crash against the sturdy Portland Stone"

Comment

Thanks for the great tip.

I will try this when I have something to photograph lol

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook
          Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
          bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

Originally posted by fossil boy View Post
            What sort of camera and set up do you use? I'm on a Nikon D3100 with the bog standard 18-55 mm lense and find some of my shots frustrating. Very good advice though, keep it up!

Hi Fossil Boy

I use a Nikon D90 with standard 18-70 lens on it.
            Alison
            Pure Glass Beads

Visit My Facebook Page

Comment

Really good advice! It was a lot to post and very valuable information
              www.beadhall.com for semi precious, pearls and glass beads
              Twitter - The Bead Hall Ltd

Comment

Here are a couple more excellent tutorials on this subject (from their original authors)

http://www.glassbysarah.com/?p=377

http://www.beadybugs.co.uk/hintsandtips.htm
                george
                www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

To photograph my earings, I use the [email protected] camera on my lg mobile phone, which never turns out that great, but thats OK, coz then I use the magic of Photoshop to fix it! I have found using show/highlight tool, and also colour replace tool - this is good for when the background is dull and dark, I can then make it white.

I love photoshop!
                  Attached Files
                  "Man who wait paitiently, catch Big fish!

Comment

Working...
                  X